[tforum] UtahSAINT Conference Registration OPEN

Troy Jessup tj at uen.org
Mon Sep 5 14:59:41 MDT 2011

All,

The next UtahSAINT Conference is quickly approaching.  This message marks the opening of Public Registration for the UtahSAINT Conference.   Registration for UtahSAINT Members opened on Sep 1st, and we have filled more than half of the seats for the conference in 2 days.   We fully expect that registration will close due to reaching its capacity by wed-thu this week.

If you would like to attend, now is the time to register.

LOCATION AND DATES
The UtahSAINT Conference 2011 will be held on October 11-14th in St. George, Utah.   It will be at the same venue as the last couple of years.  This venue is ideal for this type of conference and we appreciate that Dixie State College is once again willing to accommodate us on their campus.

CONFERENCE REGISTRATION
Public Registration for the Conference will open on Monday September 5, 2011 at 1:00p.   SEATING IS LIMITED so please be ready to register early to ensure you get that seat.   Seats will go very fast!

Registration will be available at the Conference Website:  www.utahsaint.org/conference<http://www.utahsaint.org/conference>

NEW CONFERENCE FORMAT
This year we are trying a new format for the conference which we think will provide more opportunity for attendees to get specific instruction and help in their real-world scenarios.  It involves a general presentation/training intended to provide detailed instruction on specific topics, but after the general session, each instructor will take additional time in another room to continue the discussion and give more hands-on help to those who chose to attend the extended session.  We feel this will help the conference attendees benefit more directly having this more one-to-one interaction and help.

And once again, back by popular demand, even more Training Topics and extended training time will be a major component of this conference.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
This year more than ever, you will need a Laptop with VMWare Workstation/Fusion.  Many of the trainings and live demos will be using this format.  Please come prepared with VMWare installed and running.  As a standard requirement, your laptop should be able to run at least 2 virtual machines at the same time.  In some cases, 3 or more may be necessary.

DOWNLOADS
In order to save costs, we will be experimenting with using BitTorrent as a delivery system for the Conference Materials this year.  The torrent(s) will be made available prior to the conference so that everyone has a chance to download the content before arriving onsite.  We encourage you to take part in this process to avoid the long delays in downloading while at the conference.

PRESENTERS
We are still looking for members who are willing to present on security related topics.  If you are interested, please contact Troy or Kelly to discuss.  We'd be happy to assign a topic or let you choose your own.  As an added incentive, presenters teaching 1hr+ will be invited to a Monday evening exclusive BBQ and Gun Shooting Party (Eat and Skeet) to be hosted by Troy and his Family.  Great food (steaks) and all the bullets you can shoot with plenty to shoot at!

HACKERS CHALLENGE RETURNS
One of the funner distractions of the conference allows you to work on different things as you find topics which are less interesting.  Some rule changes for this year and all new challenges will make the game more enjoyable.  It is open during the entire conference and will even be available offsite for ad hoc evening Hackers Challenge Parties (one hosted by UEN is planned).

AFTER DARK LABS
Its going to get more labs'y.  Our intent this year is to make this more about building something useful that you can use every day.  USB Multiboot and Ethernet taps are the current plans (subject to change).  More information however will be made available so you can for sure bring the things you need to participate.

ACCOMMODATIONS
Once again we are visiting St. George during the Senior Olympics, and Hotels are bound to be more difficult to find.  We highly recommend that you make your accommodations as early as possible, perhaps even before conference registration opens.  The following Hotels have UtahSAINT Conference Rates available:

Marriott Courtyard (SOLD OUT)
** They do have non-conference rate rooms available still at $159/night
185 South 1470 East
St. George, UT
435-986-0555
$119.00 per night

Marriott TownePlace Suites (SOLD OUT)
** They do have non-conference rate rooms available still at $159/night
251 South 1470 East
St. George, UT
435-986-9955
$119.00 per night

Hampton Inn (16 rooms left)
53 North River Road
St. George, UT
435-652-1200
$115.00 per night

Clarion Suites (21 rooms left)
1239 South Main
St. George, UT
435-673-7000
$99.00 per night

Holiday Inn Express (12 rooms Left)
2450 No. Town Center Drive
Washington, UT
435-986-1313
$75.00 per night

Quality Inn (25 rooms Left)
1165 So. Bluff St.
St. George, UT
435-628-4481
$89.99 per night

We hope you will be excited to join us once again at the UtahSAINT Conference..  We look forward to seeing you there.

-- Troy Jessup and the
-- Conference Committee