[tforum] [Fwd: OSHEAN's concerns regarding Sen. Harry Reid's amendment to the Higher Education Reauthorization Act]

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:34:23 -0600

FYI, for those that are following the discussions between the education
groups and the entertainment industry regarding some of the potential
laws...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Fwd: OSHEAN's concerns regarding Sen. Harry Reid's amendment
to the Higher Education Reauthorization Act]
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:18 -0400
From: George Loftus <george.loftus@oshean.org>
To: discuss@thequilt.net

I am sure you all saw the message that Hud forwarded from Mark Luker
requesting an URGENT call for action regarding Sen. Harry Reid of
Nevada's proposed amendment to the Higher Education Reauthorization Act
that would impose Campus-based Digital Theft Prevention requirements on
institutions of higher education.

I have been talking with RI's senators to make them aware of just how
harmful this amendment could be.   I have provided a copy of my
correspondence with a staffer in Senator Jack Reed's (D-RI) Washington
office.

I also offer the following two URL's to articles of interest.

Here's an article from today's Insider Higher Ed.  At the bottom are
some interesting facts, some from the RIAA:
<http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/07/23/fileshare>

Also there is a good article in the Chronicle of Higher Ed today:

http://chronicle.com/daily/2007/07/2007072301n.htm

If you are in a position to contact your Senators' offices I would
encourage you to do so today, as this matter is likely to be brought up
in the Senate  either today or tomorrow.