[tforum] Re: [it-managers] Raising the Internet MTU

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:46:31 -0600

Tom Ammon wrote:
> Has anyone seen any data concerning large frame size's impact on jitter?

Tom,

As the speed of the link goes up, the impact of larger frame sizes goes
down unless the frame sizes grow significantly.  What you bring up is a
valid question, though, because you don't want latency sensitive
volkswagen beetles stuck behind huge semi-trucks, or latency sensitive
voice packets trapped in the queues behind large file transfers.  Some
discussion exists in some of the links off of the main link I sent out.
  For example, Phil Dykstra's discussion:
http://sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/jumbo.html

I will have to dig up some other links I have seen on the subject.
There have been some rigorous papers dealing with the question.

In practice, most jitter on voice and multimedia comes from dropped
packets, varying latencies due to changing paths, routers running under
high utilization, strange asymmetric routes or host issues.  As long as
the pipes are fast, packet drop negligible and the routers are truly
running wire speed, jitter issues tend to be lower.   Buffer sizes on
hosts, routers and switches can affect jitter.  Host CPU utilization
also affects jitter.  How well a host is handling interrupts also
affects jitter.  Many factors affect jitter, especially in the Wide Area
Network.

Large frame sizes are typically not common on the internet due to ISPs
and end-customer devices not supporting Jumbo frames.   However, in the
research world, the national and international backbones do support
jumbo frames as well as very high speed pipes.  Because the pipes are
now 2.5Gigabit to 10Gigabit and the max Jumbo frame is only 9kbytes.  A
9kbyte frame on a 10Gig link is actually less of an impact than the
standard 1500byte frame on a 10Megabit link.

	--Joe