[tforum] [Fwd: Web apps that think they're desktop software]

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:09:08 -0600

For those that follow the migration of computing from the desktop to the
web, check out some of the links in the below message.  Also of note,
though not directly in the below message, is the rapid growth of Adobe
Apollo for developing web 2.0 type apps that run on the web instead of
your local machine.  Though only in alpha stages, I have seen several
references to the new framework.  Here is a link to a description of it.
  http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9698662-2.html?tag=nl.e776

The interface to the computing world is rapidly changing.  Hopefully,
broadband to the home will achieve more penetration in the US,
especially rural areas.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Web apps that think they're desktop software
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:39:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: CNET Webware Weekly <newsletters@cnet.online.com>
To: joe.breen@utah.edu

CNET | Webware Weekly

April 14, 2007

Web apps that think they're desktop software

Many online services try to ape the desktop experience, and
lately we're seeing more of them that are doing a great job of
it. I'm referring, in particular, to ScrapBlog and Wiredness, two
new graphics applications that will make you wonder why you're
still using desktop software.  Scrapblog builds online
presentations; Wiredness is a photo editor.  On the other hand,
an online app needs more than a pretty interface, no matter how
innovative it is. One unfortunate example of this truth is the
recently updated desktop suite, Glide 2.0.  It makes for a
knockout demo, but the apps in the suite don't hold together.
Still, it's worth checking out, just to get a glimpse of what the
future of your Web apps looks like.  Also worth checking out: The
new online suite, Peepel.

http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635104-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635105-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635106-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

>Glide 2.0
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635107-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

Unsubscribe instructions are at the bottom of this newsletter.

IN THIS ISSUE:

1. Beyond apps: The Web OS
2. Twitter vs Jaiku: How to win
3. The Beatles are coming to iTunes
4. Buzzillions is a great shopping experience
5. Can a search site save the environment?
6. Web 2.0 Expo preview!
7. More Webware

1. Beyond apps: The Web OS

It looks like the Web operating system is becoming more than just
a concept and an argument for marginalizing desktop OSes. Martin
LaMonica looks at new services form Laszlo, YouOS, and Xcerion

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635108-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

2. Twitter vs Jaiku: How to win

Twitter is not the only nanoblogging service, as its users
learned when popular Twitterer Leo Laporte jumped ship to go to
Jaiku. But you don't have to decide on one or the other. You can
live in both. Here's how.

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635109-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

3. The Beatles are coming to iTunes

Major record label EMI announced this week that they have settled
an ongoing copyright dispute with the Beatles that had prevented
the label from licensing their music for distribution. In light
of EMI's recent deal to release their catalog on iTunes, it
appears that there is little left to prevent the Fab Four's back
catalog from finally being released online.

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635110-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

4. Buzzillions is a great shopping experience

Buzzillions does a great job collecting product reviews from
around the Web, and it also makes it easy to find just the right
product for your needs.

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635111-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

5. Can a search site save the environment?

Blackle is just a front-end to Google. But's it's black. Because,
its designer says, darker Web pages save energy. Does this really
make sense?

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635112-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

6. Web 2.0 Expo preview!

All our Web 2.0 stories

The Webware will be at the Web 2.0 Expo next week, looking for
cool new Web apps. Click through for previews and for ongoing
coverage.

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635113-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

Get in to Web 2.0 Expo FREE

We're sponsoring the Expo, and we have free expo passes to give
out. Click the link to nab yours now.

>Read more
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635114-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

7. More Webware

Webware RSS feed
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635115-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

Latest browser tweaks
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635116-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

About Webware.com
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635117-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

http://nl.com.com/global_unsub?email=joe.breen@utah.edu&id=4650458&trial_id=2766472&list_id=e776&unsub=1

To manage your account settings, or to remove yourself from all CNET
communications, please visit our Subscription Center:
http://nl.cnet.com/acct_mgmt.sc?email=joe.breen@utah.edu&brand=cnet-ssa

For FAQ, please visit:
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635118-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

To learn about advertising opportunities, please visit:
http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=37635119-8375a399dfad708acf590252f8e61b93-bf&s=5&fs=0

To view our Privacy Policy, please visit:
http://www.cnetnetworks.com/editorial/privacy.html

Copyright 2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
CNET Networks, Inc.
235 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
U.S.A.