[tforum] [Fwd: [CAnet - news] AT&T Sets Up Internet Tollbooths]

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Wed, 08 Mar 2006 05:47:02 -0700

As many of us heavily use the Internet for educational and research
purposes and expect students to do so as well, we must carefully monitor
the progression of such practices as these.  While companies should
definitely have to right to sell services, these rights probably should
not create impedance to the flow of learning and information.  Just
thoughts to consider as the Internet undergoes transformation and growth.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [CAnet - news] AT&T Sets Up Internet Tollbooths
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 23:29:03 -0500
From: Bill St.Arnaud <bill.st.arnaud@canarie.ca>
To: news@canarie.ca

For more information on this item please visit the CANARIE CA*net 4 Optical
Internet program web site at http://www.canarie.ca/canet4/library/list.html

[Excerpts from Lightreading article. Once again another reason we need to
rethink last architecture and ownership --BSA]

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=90256&WT.svl=news1_2

AT&T Sets Up Internet Tollbooths
As it grows in size and scope, AT&T Inc. says it will also be among those
carriers building tollbooths for its last-mile broadband networks.

The telco giant's product development and sales teams are now busy designing
"packet prioritization" products for sale to content providers that depend
on AT&T last-mile networks to deliver services to consumers. Such products
reserve a "fast lane" on AT&T's networks for the safe and speedy transit of
traffic from whichever company is paying the toll.

send a blank email message to
news-leave@canarie.ca

These news items and comments are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect
those  of the CANARIE board or management