[tforum] [Fwd: museum videoconferencing]

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:50:08 -0700

I thought some of y'all might desire to answer and/or collaborate.  --Joe

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: museum videoconferencing
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:36:45 -0500 (EST)
From: dtheobald@i2icom.com
To: i2k20-news@internet2.edu

(Please excuse cross-postings)

My name is Dan Theobald, and I am working with a major West Coast museum
to help launch a K-12 distance education program utilizing interactive
videoconferencing.    I'm am looking for information on the following
items and would greatly appreciate any input, leads or contacts that
members of this list could provide.

1)   Number of U.S. K-12 schools equipped with interactive
videoconferencing capability

2)  Of the total number of schools, how many are using the following
networks:
-- ISDN
-- IP over the commodity Internet
-- IP over Internet2

3) In terms of connection quality, what experiences have K-12 users had
with videoconferencing over the commodity Internet, vs. via  ISDN or
Internet2?

4) Are there any steps that can be taken to maximize the chances for a
good quality videoconferencing experience over the commodity Internet?

5)  What experiences have K-12 users had with adapting desktop video
systems (like the Polycom PVX) for use as room systems through the use
of data projectors for group viewing, extra cameras, microphones, etc.

Thank you,
Dan Theobald