[tforum] [Fwd: [CAnet - news] SOA in Higher Education] -- Higher Ed collaborations

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:53:40 -0600

The following note links to a Service Oriented Architecture Workshop
held in Vancouver.  As I poked about the site and observed the results,
I was struck again by how our Higher Ed Community is slowly moving to an
increasingly collaborative environment.  By utilizing wikis, email lists
and CVS or SVN software repositories, our community is starting to
develop enterprise tools that fit the specific community need.  The
community is then sharing these tools to empower all.  The community,
while not completely spurning traditional enterprise tools, is realizing
that collaboration and open development is necessary to truly serve the
unique environment that constitutes Higher Ed.
Workshop Goal  A Conceptual Framework

Our stated goal for the workshop was to "Build the community knowledge
base needed to create a Conceptual Framework of cross-cutting university
services. The range of these services includes, but is not limited to,
those required for a next generation Student System."
http://educationcommons.org/projects/display/SOA/Executive+Summary