[tforum] Re: [ALL-MANAGERS:1231] RE: Some additional notes for Univ administrators re: SQL worm

Joe Breen Joe.Breen@utah.edu
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:53:47 -0700

Thanks Steve for posting the main affected Microsoft product list.

Apparently, a number of non-Microsoft or non-business products may also
install the Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine (MSDE).  Applications ranging
from games, i.e. MS Age of Mythology, to Network management tools, i.e.
Compaq Insight Manager, HP Openview Internet Services, may install the
MSDE depending on how an administrator installs them.  One of the SQL
security sites in conjunction the the NTBugTraq group has started a list
of apps that *may* install the MSDE.  The list is in the left column on
  www.sqlsecurity.com   For more information on NTBugTraq, see
http://www.ntbugtraq.com/

Russ Cooper, the NTBugTraq moderator, has also provided the following
new Microsoft pointers regarding the worm and patches.

"Microsoft has just released a web page about SQLSlammer, and also a new
version of MS02-061. Thanks to Hjorleifur Kristinsson for the heads up.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/virus/alerts/slammer.asp

The new version of MS02-061 includes an installer, plus the patch I
referred to early that deals with the handle leak (Q3177848) all in the
one package.

You have to get the download via;

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-061.asp

as there is no link to it from the MS Slammer page.

Cheers,
Russ - NTBugtraq Editor"

	--Joe
	Joe.Breen@utah.edu
	Univ. of Utah Center for High Performance Computing