[tforum] IMPORTANT: Route Reduction wrap-up

Pete Kruckenberg pete@uen.org
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:10:01 -0600 (MDT)

[ IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING ROUTER CONFIGURATION     ]
[ CHANGES YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE IS INCLUDED IN THIS MESSAGE ]

PROJECT WRAP-UP
All of the changes for the Hub Paradise Route Reduction
project have been implemented, except for a few minor
clean-up items, which will be completed this week.

NETWORK PROBLEMS
This change should not affect connectivity within districts,
regions or to the rest of the UEN network and the Internet.
If anything, the network should be faster.

If you are having trouble using the network or reaching
sites that you could reach before Route Reduction was
implemented, please contact the UEN Help Desk (801-585-7440
or helpdesk@uen.org) and open a ticket on your problem.

The Help Desk will need to know the name/addresses of the
site you are trying to reach and the machine you can't reach
it from, and what problems you are experiencing (is it slow,
not reachable at all, intermittently reachable, etc).

PROBLEMS INTERNAL TO DISTRICT/REGION NETWORKS
We have found circumstances where the Route Reduction
triggers connectivity problems within district/region
networks, particularly if there is redundancy inside the
district/region. It can also affect routers running CEF. In
every case, we have corrected the problems by reconfiguring
the affected routers to comply with configuration standards.

IMPORTANT ROUTER CONFIGURATION CHANGE
Routers in your district/region that don't have
'ip classless' and EIGRP 'no auto-summary' configured can
cause connectivity problems at their sites and through the
network. Please make sure these changes are configured on
all routers you administer. Please let us know if you need
information or help making the changes.

The Help Desk (801-585-7440, helpdesk@uen.org) can answer
your questions about these issues, or put you in touch with
the right UEN resource to help.

SUMMARY
Other than some temporary outages (some more serious than
others) which are difficult to avoid with a project of this
magnitude, the Hub Paradise Route Reduction project has been
very successful. We appreciate your patience, especially
those of you who experienced outages.

The results of the project are much better than we had
expected. We have reduced memory requirements on routers at
districts and schools significantly. Routing within the
network is more stable because routing problems are now
contained within a hub, rather than propagating throughout
the entire network. It is easier now to add redundancy to
the network, whether inside a district or between hubs or to
the Internet. It's easier to diagnose problems within the
core and hub backbone (and at the district and school, too).
So for the trouble, we get lots of benefits.

As always, I appreciate your comments.

Pete Kruckenberg
UEN Network Engineering
(801) 585-9034