[tforum] Hub Paradise Project - General Deployment

Tony Bueno tony@uen.org
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:55:37 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C11BF1.AEE8B880

Hi:

The following is another in a series of new initiatives by the UEN =
Engineering and Operations Departments to standardize our router =
configurations and enhance system performance.  The information below =
was provided during the "Hub Paradise" trial in the USU Hub area by Pete =
Kruckenberg and has been adapted for this general deployment =
announcement... =20

The next installment of the UEN Hub Paradise project will start Tuesday =
August 7, 2001 at 6:00PM (detailed schedule is included below). There is =
a potential it will break some sites or groups of users.  I realize that =
is short notice, but we would like to squeeze this change in before =
school starts.=20

In this pilot, we will be using some of the capabilities we have now =
that we are a classless IP network. This means we can reduce route table =
sizes by aggregating multiple route announcements into a single "super =
announcement".

This focus of this initiative will be on reducing route table sizes at =
the edge devices, at the hub, and from the hub to the UEN core. In the =
USU pilot conducted earlier this week Pete projected a 60-95% reduction =
in the size of routing tables at the edge.  The measured benefit after =
the changes were implemented was a reduction in routing table size of =
approx. 90% (from 155 to 13 routes).  With smaller routing tables, this =
will also reduce router memory requirements.

>From the hub to the edge devices, we will be limiting routes sent to =
just the 'default' routes. We will also be removing the 'ip =
default-network' statement from the router, as the default network is =
already tagged in the routing protocol and the configuration command is =
unnecessary. This will not interfere with intra-district routing or =
district/hub redundancy routing (in fact, it'll make it easier to do).

While we have spent an inordinate amount of time checking and =
re-checking our planned changes, it is possible that we might mess =
something up on this test. That's why we're starting at 6:00PM, to give =
plenty of time to check connectivity after the changes are made. And, as =
usual, we will be available Tuesday to work on specific problems that =
might crop up or after hours on the NOC on-call pager.

Possible problems would present themselves in an entire site or an =
entire block of servers/users (within the same address block) not being =
able to get to the Internet or UEN services, or be reachable from the =
Internet and UEN. Problems should be very obvious (which is good and =
bad).

When problems are reported, we need to know the IP addresses of the user =
and the site they are trying to reach to diagnose the problem. Report =
all problems to the NOC at 801-585-7440.

All changes should be complete by 10:00PM, if you'd like to get a =
head-start on checking things before the start of business the following =
day. If there are specific checks you would like us to run, send me an =
email with a list of the sites and services and we will check them for =
you. We will on a district-by-district basis following the =
implementation of these changes report on the impact to sites within =
each district we used as performance benchmarks.  If you would like us =
to evaulate the impact on a speecific site within your district, please =
forward that information to me.

There are no specific changes necessary for you to make on elementary =
school routers.

General Deployment Schedule:
Dixie/NUES/CEU - Tuesday August 7th
DATC/UVSC - Wednesday August 8th
SLCC - Thursday August 9th
SUU/Snow/Snow South - Friday August 10th
San Juan/Moab/Roosevelt - Monday August 13th

6:00 P.M. Apply distribute list changes to core and hub devices
3:00 A.M the following day CiscoWorks will apply the following clean-up =
changes to edge devices in the respective hub area and exceptions =
cleaned up manually by 9:00 a.m.

Router Clean-up Changes:
Security issues:
 no service udp-small-servers
 no service tcp-small-servers
 no ip http server
 no ip finger

Network:
 no ip default-network 205.124.253.0
 (some default-networks are different IP's, and will have to
 be cleaned up manually)

 router eigrp 205
  no auto-summary

As always, call me or email with your questions or concerns.

Tony

Tony Bueno
NOC Manager
Utah Education Network
Office: 801-585-7406
Cell:  801-558-4453
Pager: 801-249-6345
mailto:tony@uen.org

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C11BF1.AEE8B880

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The following is&nbsp;another&nbsp;in a =
series=20
of&nbsp;new initiatives by the UEN Engineering and Operations =
Departments to=20
standardize our router configurations and enhance system =
performance.&nbsp; The=20
information below was provided during the "Hub Paradise" trial in the =
USU Hub=20
area by Pete Kruckenberg and has been adapted for this general =
deployment=20
announcement...&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>The next installment of the&nbsp;UEN Hub Paradise project will =
start=20
Tuesday&nbsp;August 7, 2001 at 6:00PM (detailed schedule is included =
below).=20
There is a potential it will break some sites or groups of users.&nbsp; =
I=20
realize that is short notice, but we would like to squeeze=20
this&nbsp;change&nbsp;in before school starts. </DIV>
<DIV>In this pilot, we will be using some of the capabilities we have =
now that=20
we are a classless IP network. This means we can reduce route table =
sizes by=20
aggregating multiple route announcements into a single "super=20
announcement".<BR><BR>This&nbsp;focus of this initiative will be on =
reducing=20
route table sizes at the edge devices, at the hub, and from the hub to =
the UEN=20
core. In the USU pilot conducted earlier this week Pete projected a =
60-95%=20
reduction in the size of routing tables at the edge.&nbsp; The measured =
benefit=20
after the changes were implemented was a reduction in routing table size =
of=20
approx. 90% (from 155 to 13 routes).&nbsp; With smaller routing tables, =
this=20
will also reduce router memory requirements.<BR><BR>From the hub to the =
edge=20
devices, we will be limiting routes sent to just the 'default' routes. =
We will=20
also be removing the 'ip default-network' statement from the router, as =
the=20
default network is already tagged in the routing protocol and the =
configuration=20
command is unnecessary. This will not interfere with intra-district =
routing or=20
district/hub redundancy routing (in fact, it'll make it easier to=20
do).<BR><BR>While we have spent an inordinate amount of time checking =
and=20
re-checking our planned changes, it is possible that we might mess =
something up=20
on this test. That's why we're starting at 6:00PM, to give plenty of =
time to=20
check connectivity after the changes are made. And, as usual, we will be =

available Tuesday to work on specific problems that might crop up or =
after hours=20
on the NOC on-call pager.<BR><BR>Possible problems would present=20
themselves&nbsp;in an entire site or an entire block of servers/users =
(within=20
the same address block) not being able to get to the Internet or UEN =
services,=20
or be reachable from the Internet and UEN. Problems should be very =
obvious=20
(which is good and bad).<BR><BR>When problems are reported, we need to =
know the=20
IP addresses of the user and the site they are trying to reach to =
diagnose the=20
problem. Report all problems to the NOC at 801-585-7440.<BR><BR>All =
changes=20
should be complete by 10:00PM, if you'd like to get a head-start on =
checking=20
things before the start of business the following day. If there are =
specific=20
checks you would like us to run, send me an email with a list of the =
sites and=20
services and&nbsp;we will check them for you. We will&nbsp;on a=20
district-by-district basis following the implementation of these changes =
report=20
on the impact to sites within each district we&nbsp;used as performance=20
benchmarks.&nbsp; If you would like us to evaulate the impact on a =
speecific=20
site within your district, please forward that information to =
me.<BR><BR>There=20
are no specific changes necessary for you to make on&nbsp;elementary=20
school&nbsp;routers.<BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>General Deployment=20
Schedule:</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dixie/NUES/CEU - Tuesday&nbsp;August=20
7th</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>DATC/UVSC - Wednesday&nbsp;August =
8th</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SLCC - Thursday&nbsp;August =
9th</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SUU/Snow/Snow South - =
Friday&nbsp;August=20
10th</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>San Juan/Moab/Roosevelt - =
Monday&nbsp;August=20
13th</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>6:00 P.M. Apply distribute list changes =
to core and=20
hub devices</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3:00 A.M the following=20
day&nbsp;CiscoWorks&nbsp;will apply the following clean-up changes to =
edge=20
devices in the respective hub area and exceptions cleaned up manually by =
9:00=20
a.m.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Router Clean-up Changes:</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>Security issues:<BR>&nbsp;no service udp-small-servers<BR>&nbsp;no =
service=20
tcp-small-servers<BR>&nbsp;no ip http server<BR>&nbsp;no ip=20
finger<BR><BR>Network:<BR>&nbsp;no ip default-network=20
205.124.253.0<BR>&nbsp;(some default-networks are different IP's, and =
will have=20
to<BR>&nbsp;be cleaned up manually)<BR><BR>&nbsp;router eigrp =
205<BR>&nbsp; no=20
auto-summary</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As always, call me or email&nbsp;with your questions or =
concerns.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tony</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tony Bueno<BR>NOC Manager<BR>Utah =
Education=20
Network<BR>Office: 801-585-7406<BR>Cell:&nbsp; 801-558-4453<BR>Pager:=20
801-249-6345<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:tony@uen.org">mailto:tony@uen.org</A></FONT></DIV></BODY><=
/HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C11BF1.AEE8B880--