[NASAFACS] Invitation to NASAFACS members to attend July Workshops/Trainings Open to FCS

Gayla L. Randel grandel at ksde.org
Wed May 15 11:20:35 MDT 2019

Please see the opportunities below which you might be interested in.  I moved to a summer professional development that is more like a camp model.  One of KS largest school districts was in need of skill training their teachers (they have over 35 FCS related teachers in their district so this is one answer to specialized PD) and so we worked together to bring these deep dives to the forefront of our teachers to meet them where they are.  Some options are targeted and specific to competencies and/or national standards and others are more broad allowing for the teachers to embed as fits into their classes and curriculum.  KS is a local option state so I can't require any particular resource, curriculum or textbook.  We function on course competencies which must be addressed and use trainings to "nudge" them in the direction they are expected to go.

Some of you may not know over half of my FCS teachers are alternatively licensed (from industry or through praxis test) and their needs are far and wide.  This model was piloted in Summer of 2018 and was very successful.  We are continuing with it this year where teachers pick and choose, come and go for those items which interests them or meets their direct classroom understanding and skill training needs.

As NASAFACS members, you are invited to attend.  The registration links and costs are provided .  Wichita and Manhattan both have regional airports for those who might fly.  Both Wichita (south west) and Manhattan (directly west) are approximately 2 hours from Kansas City airport if that is your flight choice.  I can recommend lodging if  that is needed as well.

Let me know if you are interested.   Gayla Randel

[cid:image004.png at 01D50B18.66703D10]

Gayla Randel, CFCS
Education Program Consultant, Family & Consumer Sciences
Career Standards and Assessment Services
(785) 296-4912 (wk); (785)291-3791 (fax)
grandel at ksde.org<mailto:grandel at ksde.org>
www.ksde.org<http://www.ksde.org/>
Kansas State Department of Education
LANDON STATE OFFICE BUILDING, 900 SW JACKSON STREET, SUITE 653, TOPEKA, KS 66612

" If work is good, people come home with renewed energies for their families. And if family life is good, people come with renewed energy for work."  Ellen Galinsky, CEO Family and Work Institute