[NASAFACS] Fwd: Food Science at Maquoketa

Lisa Stange lisa.stange at iowa.gov
Mon Jun 18 06:33:59 MDT 2018

How are you handling Ag classes using CASE that are utilizing kitchens and
cooking in them?

Here was a question from one of my instructors:
There is a Food Science course being taught in our Ag program and they are
building a new building that will include 5 kitchens (they are nicer than
those that the current FCS classroom uses to teach Culinary courses).
These standards are in the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
Standards on page 84 that they are using for the course:

SCOPE: The Food Products and Processing Systems
(FPP) Career Pathway encompasses the study of food
safety and sanitation; nutrition, biology, microbiology,
chemistry and human behavior in local and global food
systems; food selection and processing for storage,
distribution and consumption; and the historical and
current development of the food industry. Students
completing a program of study in this pathway will
demonstrate competence in the application of principles
and techniques for the development, application
and management of food products and processing systems
in AFNR settings.

*Lisa G. Stange, MA Ed*
Career & Technical Education Program Consultant
Human Services/Family & Consumer Sciences
FCCLA State Adviser
Iowa Department of Education
Bureau of Career & Technical Education
Grimes State Office Building
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
515.242.5032 (O)
lisa.stange at iowa.gov
Twitter:  LGStange
www.educateiowa.gov

This communication and any response to it may constitute a public record,
and therefore, may be available upon request in accordance with Iowa public
records law, Iowa Code Chapter 22.

You asked me to e-mail you about the Food Science course being taught in
the Maquoketa Ag Department.  They are building a new building that will
include 5 kitchens.

I did some checking and these standards are in the Agriculture, Food and
Natural Resources Standards on page 84.

SCOPE: The Food Products and Processing Systems
(FPP) Career Pathway encompasses the study of food
safety and sanitation; nutrition, biology, microbiology,
chemistry and human behavior in local and global food
systems; food selection and processing for storage,
distribution and consumption; and the historical and
current development of the food industry. Students
completing a program of study in this pathway will
demonstrate competence in the application of principles
and techniques for the development, application
and management of food products and processing systems
in AFNR settings.

This would indicate that it can be taught with the emphasis on management
and processing of food products up to delivery to the food service
industry.  Therefore it would include food technology (developing new
foods) rather than recipe development.  Correct?

Also the College of Ag at Iowa State does list majors in Food Science, Diet
and Exercise, Culinary Food Science, and Nutritional Science.  These majors
are also listed in the College of Human Sciences.  Are these cooperative
efforts?

They also have majors like Genetics and Biology.  My daugher graduated in
Biology in the Ag College.  So it happens with other colleges as well.

The lines of food science between colleges are blurred.  We were discussing
at the  Baking Class that this class could be taught in Ag if they took the
CASE training.  Our previous Ag Instructor did take the training.  I don't
know about the current one.

So, what is the answer to Food Science in Ag?

Thanks,
Nancy Johnson