[NASAFACS] Resources and Ideas to Celebrate FCS Day - December 3

Lori Myers lmyers at aafcs.org
Tue Nov 21 13:30:09 MST 2017

[cid:image001.png at 01D362D5.3B6EF580]

NASAFACS Members/Supporters,

We know that many of you promoted Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS) Day, <http://www.aafcs.org/FCSday> "Dining In" for Healthy Families<http://www.aafcs.org/FCSday>, in previous years-thank you! If you haven't already, we would like to encourage you to reach out to your networks for the 4th Annual FCS Day!

If you've not heard of FCS Day, it is an opportunity to promote family and consumer sciences programs, tools, and professionals that support family mealtime. We ask families to make and eat a healthy meal together on or around December 3rd. December 3rd was chosen to recognize AAFCS Founder Ellen Swallow Richards, first woman graduate of MIT, whose birthday was December 3rd.

To date, we have received more than 30,000 commitments to "Dining In"! But to reach our goal of 200,000 commitments, your leadership and outreach efforts are greatly needed.

As we move into the homestretch for Family & Consumer Sciences Day, we would like for you to encourage family and consumer sciences teachers in your state to participate.

Here are some things that secondary educators could do in their classrooms:

  1.  Use the lesson plan and materials provided for FCCLA at TheTable at www.fcclainc.org/programs/fccla-at-the-table.php<http://www.fcclainc.org/programs/fccla-at-the-table.php>. Take the FCCLA pledge!
  2.  Ask their students to "Dine In" on December 3rd! Give extra credit to those who commit and show that they have "dined in" by sharing a #HealthyFamSelfie on social media.
  3.  Print "Dining In" flyers<http://www.aafcs.org/FCSday/FCSDay_flyer.pdf> for their students to take home.
  4.  Ask students to share their favorite family recipes and suggest ways to make them healthier.
  5.  Use "Dining In" as a way to discuss similarities and differences across cultures.
  6.  Prepare simple, healthy meals in their food lab prior to Family & Consumer Sciences Day.
  7.  Host a freezer meal or take-home meal program. Many tips and resources have been provided by AAFCS member and educator Janet Holden, CFCS, in this recent complimentary webinar, "Family Meals Made Easy."<http://www.aafcs.org/Go.aspx?MicrositeGroupTypeRouteDesignKey=845a66d8-5041-491d-a7dc-cd1bf547c759&NavigationKey=f55ce551-7237-4f2e-89af-023a82ed6f1d>
There are many more resources and ideas on our FCS Day website<http://www.aafcs.org/FCSday>!
Also, tomorrow, November 22, is the deadline to order FREE Family & Consumer Sciences Day stickers-order now<https://online.aafcs.org/aafcsssa/ecssashop.show_product_detail?p_session_serno=247796&p_mode=detail&p_product_serno=295&p_cust_id=> while supplies last!

Thank you in advance for your support of Family & Consumer Sciences Day!

Sincerely,
Lori Myers

LORI MYERS, PHD, CFCS
Senior Director - Credentialing, Education and Research
American Assn. of Family & Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
400 N. Columbus St. | Ste. 202 | Alexandria, VA  22314
Phone 703-706-4602 | 800-424-8080 ext. 4602
Fax 703-636-7648 | lmyers at aafcs.org<mailto:lmyers at aafcs.org> | www.aafcs.org<http://www.aafcs.org/>
[aafcs_logo_acronym]     [FCS_Logo_RGB_Horizontal]
Commit to "Dining In" on Dec. 3rd!<https://www.aafcs.org/fcsday/commit-to-dining-in/fcs-day-sign-up>
[AAFCS_Day_Logo_small]

Disclaimer