[NASAFACS] Information needed

Reno Palombit Reno.Palombit at dpi.nc.gov
Mon Jun 5 18:19:30 MDT 2017

I would also add that if you look at an Agriculture Education degree program there is little to no Food Science in their plans of study, especially past harvesting.  Similarly, a Health Sciences teacher may have 1 course in nutrition.  Family and Consumer Sciences teachers are far more thoroughly prepared for teaching foods-related content from both a scientific and nutrition perspectives.

>From a Career Clusters perspective: Our Foods II- Technology course is in the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Cluster, but only FACS teachers can teach it. Also, if you look at the Career Clusters framework and sample careers Nutritionist and Dietitian can be found in the Human Services Cluster connecting to counseling and family and community services pathways.

You may also try the post-secondary alignment argument. In our state both Food Science and Nutrition/Dietetics falls under the departments of Family and Consumer Sciences.

>From a food safety perspective, Agriculture and Health Sciences teachers do not have the food safety background and experience to be able to manage students in the lab in working with food safely.

Hope this helps,

Reno Palombit
Family & Consumer Sciences Education Consultant
NC Department of Public Instruction, Career & Technical Education
919-807-3904