[NASAFACS] ACTE NASAFACS Meeting--Send me comment by Nov 26th

Gayla L. Randel grandel at ksde.org
Thu Nov 21 11:20:04 MST 2013

NASAFACS will be meeting at two different times at ACTE. I will lead the meeting on Wednesday Dec 4  2:00-4:00 p.m. (Las Vegas Convention Center N223). This is to be the time we discuss our vision (and mission?)  statement for NASAFACS which was identified as a needed item for our bylaws update last Spring in Nashville. All active members (not just executive council) are invited.

Our charge: Create a vision statement for NASAFACS as an organization  (or should we really be working on a mission statement?).

Vision Statements and Mission Statements are words chosen to clearly and concisely convey the direction of the organization. By crafting a clear mission statement and vision statement, you can powerfully communicate your intentions and motivate your team or organization to realize a common vision of the future. "Mission Statements" and "Vision Statements" do two distinctly different jobs. A Mission Statement defines the organization's purpose and primary objectives. Its prime function is internal - to define the key measure or measures of the organization's success - and its prime audience is the leaders and members. Vision Statements also define the organizations purpose, but this time they do so in terms of the organization's values rather than bottom line measures (values are guiding beliefs about how things should be done.) The vision statement communicates both the purpose and values of the organization. For members, it gives direction about the type of work to be done and inspires future work. Shared with the general public, it shapes  understanding of why they should work with the organization.  (Source: http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_90.htm )

Here is what we have now (which is FACS Educations vision statement):
(from our bylaws)

II. VISION STATEMENT
The vision statement is to empower individuals and families across the life span to manage the challenges of living and working in a diverse global society. Our unique focus is on family, work and their interrelationship.

The begin our work....please send me your list regarding the work we do as a NASAFACS  organization NOW and where you think  we SHOULD be working by Nov 26th. I will compile these to begin our vision/mission statement discussion on Dec 4th.

Next Steps...
Our draft vision/mission statements (if completed) will be presented at our business meeting (for all members) scheduled for Friday Dec 6th at the Las Vegas Convention Center N221 from 11:45-12:45 p.m.  Additional work with be completed in the Spring and presented at our May 2014 NASAFACS meeting in Reno.

SUMMARY OF NASAFACS MEETINGS AT ACTE:
Wednesday Dec 4th   2:00-4:00 p.m. (Las Vegas Convention Center N223).
Friday Dec 6th  11:45-12:45 p.m. ( Las Vegas Convention Center N221).

Gayla Randel, President Elect 2013-14
NASAFACS

Gayla Randel, CFCS
Educational Program Consultant-Family and Consumer Sciences
Lead Consultant-Arts, AV Tech and Communications; Education and Training, Hospitality and Tourism, Human Services
Kansas State Department of Education
Career, Standards, and Assessment Services
Landon State Office Building--900 SW Jackson Ave, Suite 653
Topeka, KS 66612                  grandel at ksde.org<mailto:grandel at ksde.org>

"If work is good, people come home with renewed energy for their families.  And if family life is good, people come to work with renewed energy for work."  Ellen Galinsky