[NASAFACS] TODAY's Webinar on Identity Theft

Daila Boufford dboufford at aafcs.org
Thu Nov 14 10:14:29 MST 2013

Hello!

How are you doing today?

I wanted to share the following information about today's webinar, Identity Theft:  The Latest Scams, Emotional Consequences and How to Protect Yourself.  This will be presented by Dr. Axton Betz-Hamilton at 4:00pm Eastern Time TODAY.  Some may already be aware that Axton has been a victim of Identity Theft herself and has spent the greater part of her education career researching this highly disruptive crime and advocating for victims.  This is a fantastic presentation filled with actionable next steps we can each take to better protect ourselves.  To learn more, see below or visit http://tinyurl.com/msyffbc.

Coming up next week, we have a research-packed webinar from the Joslin Diabetes Center on Dietary Approaches to Diabetes.  Controversies and myths abound when it comes to the diet of adult diabetics. And much of the mainstream advice is vague and unproductive.  Get the latest recommendations on dietary approaches to managing diabetes from the world's largest diabetes research and clinical care center.  Learn more about this event at http://tinyurl.com/knd6zl3.

Please share this email with those on your mailing list.  Remind them to use the registration code, NASAFACS to receive $10 off their registration price!

Have a great day!
Daila

[DAILA BOUFFORD signature]
Subject: Register TODAY by 4pm ET for Identity Theft: The Latest Scams and Consequences
________________________________
[PDC Banner]

Brought to you by the American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences

Identity Theft:  The Latest Scams, Emotional Consequences,
and How to Protect Yourself
Webinar Crosswalk<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-Ylf-0Dhak6rbsKdKuXqu71c5PvPbLuWOCxd8sICmgVTuelx6KhO8cqF6fdUY7skKx-IOJ-NTb8bX71eWrSt1PdZYTBIvNpLIodvtbRYT5KnC>

Thursday, November 14th at 4:00pm Eastern Time
Add to Calendar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YhleIb-_Q_sVZUPjojFVEMumX-HhOlH6HN1vq39jE6HbJs4zpenHU5VSAcR09qh4I_iYw9KNZJI9fRExta9M8FRWGtXz5zvF_dNveENZWtZuW5-Rn9dSoyBB4pOdOWwm1w==>

Greetings,

Identify theft is on the rise, with 9.1 million victims every year.  And the thieves are getting more creative, probing into our digital lives, our financial transactions, our mail .... even our medical records.

Consumers today must keep one step ahead of the criminal mind.  With simple changes in our routines and knowledge of the latest strategies for prevention, identify theft can be avoided.

But what if the damage is already done? How can you help victims cope with this pernicious crime? Little is understood about how identity theft affects individuals beyond financial damages.

Learn about the social, physical, and financial consequences as well as three new forms of identity theft emerging today-including stealing one's medical records.

Register now for this AAFCS educational webinar (1.5 PDUs):

Identity Theft: The Latest Scams, Emotional Consequences, and How To Protect Yourself

Presented by:  Axton Betz-Hamilton, PhD

90-minute program

Thursday, November 14th at 4:00pm ET

AAFCS Webinar Crosswalk<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-Ylf-0Dhak6rbsKdKuXqu71c5PvPbLuWOCxd8sICmgVTuelx6KhO8cqF6fdUY7skKx-IOJ-NTb8bX71eWrSt1PdZYTBIvNpLIodvtbRYT5KnC>

Register Now!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YhleIb-_Q_sVZUPjojFVEMumX-HhOlH6HN1vq39jE6HbJs4zpenHU5U5DiYtSfQ2Z91lAZPVwjj7qKqqBsyM89Ni9YKc2bRvHY2MAJmS8U_hM6BMsIef6sV6qYV8kPMfaxnAWWlcJYo-1_HxtinFXZF1kaEwnpfvhQ==>

$35 for AAFCS members ($50 for non-members)

Use our Bundled Pricing Discount<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YhleIb-_Q_sVZUPjojFVEMumX-HhOlH6HN1vq39jE6HbJs4zpenHU5U5DiYtSfQ2Z3vCTX2y15_qOqzjJIKzTCdZNRKy01EANBaSUPJvMrwfYWcbwgn0gXmy6bvP-QwnpYC7Af1pzBU1> to save on registration!

We live in the Information Age-and that means our personal information is easily accessible, whether in print or digital form.  Where we shop, what we buy, what our credit rating is, what sites we visit on the Internet-this is all valuable data for someone who wants to steal another individual's identity for personal gain or simply to inflict emotional pain.

It often takes up to a year and some 300-700 hours of phone calls, affidavits, post office visits, and legal guidance to untangle the destruction of identity theft.  The emotional toll is far greater-a severe loss of trust, physical reactions such as insomnia, and life-long stress.

One of the fastest growing types of identity theft is medical identity theft. Dr.  Betz-Hamilton (a victim herself of identity theft) will share shocking examples such as how women are having babies under another person's identity and why.  Medical insurance and medical records are now extremely valuable-and vulnerable-assets that must be protected.

In just 90 minutes, you will learn:

  *   How to distinguish between the various forms of identity theft (financial, medical, familial, child)
  *   The emotional, physical, and social consequences of identity theft victimization
  *   The current top motivations nationwide for committing identity theft
  *   How to protect yourself and those around you from becoming identity theft victims

Dozens of strategies for preventing identity theft will be presented along with products you can use such as the best type of shredder (they are not all the same!), virus protection, apps, system scans, and others.

More key take-aways from this information-packed webinar:

  *   Why social media is a potential gateway to identity theft, and what three pieces of information thieves are looking for on these sites
  *   Spyware that hackers use and how it works
  *   How identity theft can affect your credit history
  *   Smart strategies for your smart phone
  *   The danger of free credit card offers arriving in your mail box and what to do about them
  *   The big business of selling of social security numbers-for anywhere from 50 cents to $100

Handouts, free government information, and other resources will be provided at this webinar.

Who usually commits these crimes? How do they obtain this private information? How can you help victims get on with their lives after suffering the consequences of these crimes?

Get answers to these and your most pressing identity theft questions at this webinar.

About the Presenter:  Axton Betz-Hamilton, PhD, Assistant Professor of Consumer Studies at Eastern Illinois University, is a researcher and expert on identity theft.  She has spoken extensively on this topic, including an invited presentation at the Identity Theft Assistance Center's Forum on Child Identity Theft in Washington, DC.  She was a victim of identity theft at age 11 and learned the identity of the person who stole her identity 20 years after the crime began.

Who should register?  This webinar addresses a topic about which everyone should be well-informed.  Teachers, parents, college students, retirees, counselors who work with victims, Extension educators, and college professors and administrators-anyone who wants to learn how to protect their own identity as well the identity of students, clients, elderly parents, children, and those in our communities should register now.

Not able to attend on November 14?  No problem. This event will be archived on the AAFCS website for the same low registration rates.

Register for a bundle<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YhleIb-_Q_sVZUPjojFVEMumX-HhOlH6HN1vq39jE6HbJs4zpenHU5U5DiYtSfQ2Z3vCTX2y15_qOqzjJIKzTCdZNRKy01EANBaSUPJvMrwfYWcbwgn0gXmy6bvP-QwnpYC7Af1pzBU1>
and save on registration costs!

Register Now!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YhleIb-_Q_sVZUPjojFVEMumX-HhOlH6HN1vq39jE6HbJs4zpenHU5U5DiYtSfQ2Z91lAZPVwjj7qKqqBsyM89Ni9YKc2bRvHY2MAJmS8U_hM6BMsIef6sV6qYV8kPMfaxnAWWlcJYo-1_HxtinFXZF1kaEwnpfvhQ==>

I can't make it<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YhleIb-_Q_sVZUPjojFVEMumX-HhOlH6HN1vq39jE6HbJs4zpenHU5XwdOpSslwJPVc3e7_Q5au8nQtJqgLwebf7LPSTpcmQbz6cL9ptu0iDssinDKVs5j4b3ygrsw1e7ojUzRMYAz0bRL67btuFaNBEtRXLhuJB2g==>
Share this event with your colleagues! Forward to a Friend<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1103630347786&a=1115660104041&ea=dboufford@aafcs.org&id=preview>
[Like us on Facebook]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzCzIYOlUWCAA34XR8nSK0l9ChMr6LPw0q5zawicwYizXyOlvn0oYX2uNAOfzyr5KJiPRpqmdcFng==> [Follow us on Twitter] <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzCzIYOlUWCADa2iL1HrrFuJTnXwpO0FKdKPmacRy7PCQ==>  [View our profile on LinkedIn] <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-Yge_LvbHBv_wUNjt9YIPM7TJxnwiDS3DlGVgsDpXy7xB4_J13bUL8BbRpAyT4a2IQXzH2aGF0kSOGNaWURheLbU=>  [Find us on Pinterest] <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-YgSOAz6bal9VGsNA3mt1tEN_gNMK_lzpme7QFC8ls1Rs>

If you work at a higher ed institution and would be interested in using any of our webinars as content for your classes, please contact me.  Special site license rates are available!

Click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K1lPE7k1n8Kxkt7qoO65lVhIHjK9tAFmHiCRfZmKICtyYKwvNrGH6pp1rPEvtAFRrk_WWhx1XDzNhvoufnT-Ylf-0Dhak6rbsKdKuXqu71dzSNB9NS9qeMSNsdCddYwZGCHhC9qEiovYwaHdl_Kp38QUEdjYm_H6> to see other webinars scheduled for 2013 and to view/access other webinar titles in the archives.

New to webinars?  Check out our risk-free guarantee.

100% Refund If You're Not Satisfied

We believe you will find our professional development events to be of high quality and unique value.  Our goal is to provide you with a great online learning experience.  Our webinar tool is very easy to use and we offer technical support before and during our events. However, if you should encounter technical difficulties during the webinar that impede your learning in any way, we will either correct the problem or refund 100% of your registration fee.

If you register for the webinar and are not able to attend on the scheduled date, you will receive a link to the archived copy of the event, which is available 24/7.  No refunds will be given for non-attendance.

AAFCS Virtual Professional Development: Get Inspired. Get Jazzed. Get With It!

Sincerely,

Daila Boufford
American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
dboufford at aafcs.org<mailto:dboufford at aafcs.org>
703 706-4609