[NASAFACS] MSN article--Some schools dropping out of new school lunch program; Food Fundraising guidelines questions.

Gayla L. Randel grandel at ksde.org
Wed Aug 28 09:57:10 MDT 2013

Interesting article shared with me by a  Restaurant and Hospitality B&I partner. (http://news.msn.com/us/some-school-districts-dropping-healthier-lunch-programs#tscptme)
On another note...  I was discussing the impact of the Food Fundraising parameters of this new policy (to be implemented July l, 2014) with this same B&I partner.  Many of our culinary application courses, FCCLA Chapters and school stores in Kansas are learning entrepreneurial and/or industry related skills through food related ventures. These experiences  will have challenges to meet the guidelines.  The comment window is still open until October.  You might have already read this information, but just in case, here's the link:

  http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/legislation/allfoods.htm

Are other states making comments as this links shares no one is really complaining about the food sales during the school day?     Gayla

Gayla Randel, CFCS
Educational Program Consultant-Family and Consumer Sciences
Kansas State Department of Education
Lead Consultant-Arts, AV Tech and Communications; Education and Training, Hospitality and Tourism, Human Services
120 SE 10th Avenue-Topeka, KS 66612  785-296-4912   grandel at ksde.org<mailto:grandel at ksde.org>

"If work is good, people come home with renewed energy for their families.  And if family life is good, people come to work with renewed energy for work."  Ellen Galinsky