[NASAFACS] Application window is VERY short: FCS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED for SCED Course Code Update

Gayla L. Randel grandel at ksde.org
Thu Sep 27 09:16:35 MDT 2012

Both the Family and Consumer Sciences education and career cluster related codes in the SCED (Secondary Codes for the Exchange of Data) will be revised in 2013.  A call for volunteers is presently underway for educators at the secondary and post-secondary levels as well as state administrators.  From the pool of those who volunteer, participants will be selected and will determine the details regarding courses that are part of the SCED for each area.  I am encouraging each of you to consider being a part of one of these areas.  As Family and Consumer Sciences professionals, it is vitally important we are involved as the codes will determine data collection at the state and national level.  I have been involved with Family and Consumer Sciences education and  plan to continue this effort. IF you are interested in serving on the FCS education team, reply to me directly.

HOWEVER, we also need volunteers to work on our career cluster areas, therefore, if you have a strong connection with a career cluster (i.e. Human Services, Hospitality and Tourism, Visual Arts, Education and Training, Health Sciences, STEM…), please apply through ACTE.  STRONGLY consider being the lead for the career cluster. There will be a box to check on the application to indicate your interest.

The link below has additional information concerning the process of application and do so ASAP as the application window is VERY SHORT.  Thank you for your consideration of this request.  Gayla Randel

Gayla Randel, CFCS
Educational Program Consultant—Family and Consumer Sciences
Kansas State Department of Education
Lead Consultant—Arts, AV Tech and Communications; Education and Training, Government and Public Administration, Hospitality and Tourism, Human Services
120 SE 10th Avenue—Topeka, KS 66612  785-296-4912   grandel at ksde.org<mailto:grandel at ksde.org>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD9C97.176C4A20]

 CTE Courses:  Creating Commonality with SCED
The goal of this project, jointly supported by ACTE, NASDCTEc and OVAE, is to update CTE information in the 2007 Secondary School Course Classification System:  School Codes for the Exchange of Data (SCED), a publication of the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).  Sixteen working groups, one for each Career Cluster TM, will review the 2007 SCED document and the CTE course names and definitions, recommend changes for CTE courses (revise/add/delete), and recommend alignment of CTE courses with Career Clusters TM and with the career pathways.  Recommendations will also be made about the overall design, structure and organization of the SCED.  This project will help further the goal of standardizing CTE data across states. Please check out this initiative on the ACTE Web:  https://www.acteonline.org/content.aspx?id=18105&terms=sced

The following person has taken the lead on this national project for the career clusters:

Sharon Enright, Ph.D.
Associate Director, CTE Performance and Accountability
Ohio Department of Education
Office of Career-Technical Education
25 South Front St., MS 602
Columbus, OH   43215-4183