[NASAFACS] State of Kansas agency partnership with financial support.

Gayla L. Randel grandel at ksde.org
Tue Sep 4 14:19:45 MDT 2012

Kansas is a local option state which means we do not develop curriculums, however we do provide competencies that must be taught as part of approved pathways.   In FCS, the development of the healthy self of the individual is at the forefront of the Human Services career cluster courses this has a strong tie to success in the human services workforce.   Obesity prevention is addressed through the Family and Community Services pathway course "Nutrition and Wellness". It is also addressed through our middle level classrooms.  Kansas is presently updating a teaching resource which I can share once completed.  There is a section on nutrition and wellness as well as a crosswalk to indicate which lessons link to current issues, obesity prevention being one.

More recently, the State of Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) has partnered with the Kansas State Department of Education, Family and Consumer Sciences educators to develop a Kansas teaching resource to address parenting, legal and paternity issues of today.  The partnership is utilizing Kansas FCS education courses which are linked to the Human Services career clusters as a prevention strategy in hopes of decreasing those needing assistance in the future.  The resource entitled "Building Healthy Families in Kansas: Addressing Issues of Today" include 10 multi-day units and will cover topics related to a variety of topics, two of which are Preventing Relationship Violence and Family Financial Planning.  DCF has provided $10,000 to develop, pilot and disseminate this resource across Kansas. Additional monies will be coming for trainings and marketing.   The document, when finalized, will have the FCS logo, the DCF logo and the KSDE logo on the cover.

Evaluation plans will include student pre/post assessment regarding attitude shifts, numbers of schools implementing and number of students reached. Projections expect participation of over 200 schools and 4,000 students in the Fall of 2013.

Gayla Randel, CFCS
Educational Program Consultant-Family and Consumer Sciences
Kansas State Department of Education
Lead Consultant-Arts, AV Tech and Communications; Education and Training, Government and Public Administration, Hospitality and Tourism, Human Services
120 SE 10th Avenue-Topeka, KS 66612  785-296-4912   grandel at ksde.org<mailto:grandel at ksde.org>