[NASAFACS] Information requested

Takeda LeGrand Takeda.LeGrand at dpi.nc.gov
Tue Sep 4 13:35:00 MDT 2012

Hi,

In North Carolina we offer a Personal Finance course at the high school level and promote Everfi Financial Literacy Certification.  One of my colleagues attended the event below earlier this year and shared the following:

Takeda,

The seminar was really good. The keynote speaker was excellent.  I picked up the handouts/ registration materials for you. I will put them in the mail.  Also, the two powerpoints that were shown will be available on the Center for Child and Family Policy website. http://www.childandfamilypolicy.duke.edu/engagement/ncfis.php

 NC  Family Impact Seminar

Senator Hartsell gave welcome.  Indicated legislators are busy with budget and hopefully will be able to come in during the morning.  Purpose of seminar is how to take evidence based practices and implement them.  We will hear today about some of these practices. He challenges particpants to take information learned today and take it back to your communities and legislators and use it.

State of NC Jobs, Poverty and Family- (PPT available on website and charts in handouts)

NC Strengths & Challenges outlined in ppt
Info. from a NC State study published Sunday.
Rural counties have experienced higher rates of unemployment
Long Term Unemployment- higher numbers are considered long term unemployed
Rural counties have higher poverty rate
In 14 counties poverty is higher than 24%
30% of long term unemployed are in poverty
Effects of unemployment in ppt.
Solutions in ppt

Ron Haskins- keynote speaker (Brookings Institute & Casey foundation)
ppt. is in packet

We invented two ways to address poverty: First one is social security and elderly poverty fell dramatically. (did not catch the 2nd, he quickly went into social programs). Have a lot social programs for low income working families.  Encouraging people to work.
4 approaches to evidence based policymaking (ppt.)
*Evidenced based reviews of social interventions- e.g. Title I been invested in by federal funds since 69 and no evidence that it works for the investment.
*Evidence based grant making- requiring data, with good random samples,
*What Works Clearinghouses- there are approx. 7 in federal legislature where people can go to get up to date information on interventions.  (ppt. has "What is a clearing house?")
*Program evaluations by administrative agencies-

This was fantastic information! Career Academies is the example 4. (ppt. has more info.)  job shadow best part of the program.  statistics are  random sample of Males who participated in a career academy, 8 years after graduation.  Earned 30% more than their male counterparts who did not participate in a career academy and had a higher likelihood of being married and living  with their children-- this could have impact YEARS down the road.

Panel Discussion: (members- Ron Haskins, Brookings Institute, Odell Cleveland CEO Welfare Reform Liaison Project, Terri Ratcliff, Asst. VP of NCSU Industrial Extension Service, David Drugman, Honda Aircraft Executive).

David Drugman talked about need for trade skills- welding, machinist, etc. Community Colleges play a big part. Problem is that programs are  semester long and the workforce needed specific list of skills addressed. Problems is to get people to get excited by industry.  Aerospace culture gap, people don't know what it is.  Movement afoot to connect workforce, community college, government and labor market.  Gold leaf foundation study mentioned.

Terri Ratcliff- Engineering Extension born out success in Ag. Extension.  Also is/does manufacturing extension. work with business and industry to help them innovate and keep them vital.

Odell Cleveland- Community Action C. member.  Showed video on success of using the welfare reform liaison project in Guilford co. social services.

Question- What things can legislators do today?
David- become champions of success stories in groups--workforce and community agencies. Make our communities attractive to business and it doesn't have to be incentives.  Look at new graduates, dislocated workers and veterans and provide programs for them.

Terri- legislators need to become champions for the potential of manufacturing in NC.  And not one dollar should go to programs that cannot produce evidence of success.

Odell- give incentives to mid size companies to partner with programs that get people into the workforce.

Ron- work is the key to social services. concentrate on having people making a living. collaboration w. legislators, community organizations, workforce dev. boards and businesses.

Panel Answered questions posed by audience.

I asked the opening presenter, Jeannine Sato,
One of the 22 Policy Recommendations in "The State of North Carolina: Job's, Poverty and Family" presentation (ppt) is to expand financial and parenting education in schools, who is making the recommendation and where is it as far as the possibility of implementation? Is there legislative support?"  She referred me to pg. 11 in the booklet that was provided "Working Toward Greater Prosperity in North Carolina: Effective Employment Strategies".  She indicated that all the information of where it started and who the key players are/were is in there and we could follow up with key players to find out where we are today and what we could do.

Also, I will be attending the event below.

We would be honored to have you participate in a one day meeting to create movement towards the integration of healthy marriage and relationship education into stakeholder service systems, sponsored by the National Resource Center for Healthy Marriage and Families. This meeting will be held on Thursday, September 6 from 8 am-5 pm at Marbles Children's Museum in Raleigh, NC.

The National Resource Center for Healthy Marriage and Families supports safety-net service providers as they integrate healthy marriage and relationship education skills into service delivery systems as part of a comprehensive, culturally appropriate, family-centered approach designed to promote self-sufficiency.  It is a service of the Office of Family Assistance, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

In an effort to share promising practices and lessons learned regarding integration of healthy marriage and relationship education skills into safety-net service systems, the National Resource Center is convening this one day meeting with regional, state, tribal, and local service agency administrators and providers. During the meeting, attendees will have an opportunity to share information regarding their agency's current efforts to promote relationship education skills; participate in facilitated discussions regarding healthy marriage and relationship education skills and integration strategies; and engage in consensus building and action planning activities.  They will also learn more about training and technical assistance available through the National Resource Center to support implementation of integration action plans.

We ask that you RSVP by September 4th, 2012 to Kim Allen by email at Kimberly_allen at ncsu.edu<mailto:Kimberly_allen at ncsu.edu> or calling 919-515-9139. We understand that securing travel authorization may take time, but please confirm your interest in attending by September 4th so we can plan accordingly. Please respond to this email or call if you have any questions.

Takeda LeGrand, Ed.D.
Family and Consumer Sciences
Education Consultant
Career and Technical Education
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
6358 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6358
[P] 919-807-3893
[F] 919-807-3899