[NASAFACS] Cosmetology, Nail Technology, Barbering Courses

Emily C. Williams Emily.C.Williams at tn.gov
Wed Nov 28 12:30:29 MST 2012

Eleanor,

Like you I also have Cosmetology and Barbering programs and am learning. Your questions and my responses below.

  1.  Let me know if you are offering these programs in the high schools in your state and if you are, what kinds of agreements have you developed with the regulatory board that helps to avoid this type of conflict in addition to several other conflicts.
At this time I am unaware of regulatory board agreements.

  1.  Where can I locate your course standards, class room specifications, equipment lists, etc.?
Standards can be located at Human Services Standards & Competencies<http://tn.gov/education/cte/standardsnew/HumServStandardsandCompetencies.shtml>

  1.  A written agreement you may have with the regulatory board specifically for high schools, if available.
  2.  Any other information you may have that will help to work out the kinks with these programs.
Cosmetology teachers must hold a Cosmetology instructor license. Same with Barbering. TN Barbering programs have been a special course to date that is why the standards appear as under review. They are moving through the approval process this year and will be in place for full implementation next school year.

Emily C. Williams
Consultant for Education & Training Services and Human Services Clusters
Division of Career and Technical Education
Emily.C.Williams at tn.gov
(615) 532-2840
Twitter: @TNedu
Facebook.com/TennesseeEducation