[NASAFACS] cluster discussion

Blatnick-Gagne, Katy Katy.Blatnick-Gagne at cccs.edu
Wed Mar 7 10:27:32 MST 2012

Colorado follows the National Cluster model, but adapted it and added Energy to the Ag cluster.  FACS courses sit in Hospitality, Human Services & Education (Restaurant, Food & Beverage Services; Consumer Services; Counseling & Mental Health; Early childhood Development; Family & Community Services; and Education and Training) and Arts, AV Technology and Communication (Visual & Design Arts).  FACS is the only CTE area in Colorado that builds their pathways according to specific courses and our standards are built/aligned by course also.
We haven't had the issue of "where is FACS" in the clusters model as much as some of the other states.  I believe that it is because our school districts have not adopted the Colorado Career Clusters model.  Our biggest issue is the media making the home ec statements.
I have attached a copy of our current model.
Katy
Katy Blatnick-Gagné
FACS Program Director
Colorado Community College System