[Library Media] Amping Up Student Literacy with Audiobooks – Free Webinar

Sharon Deeds sdeeds at utah.gov
Fri Sep 6 09:06:39 MDT 2019

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/c5be7a930176/amping-up-student-literacy-with-audiobooks-free-webinar?e=a5e93056ab>
Upcoming FREE Webinar
Sound Learning: Audiobooks in the Library to Support Literacy
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=f3085f278e&e=a5e93056ab>

Thursday, September 12 • 5pm EST / 2pm PST

*Rose Brock*, Assistant Professor, Library Science

Audiobooks have come to the forefront of education, helping students learn
through the power of active listening. Current research indicates that 85%
of learning derives from listening and 30% of people are auditory learners.
With this data, it is critical that educators and librarians in particular
understand the value of providing audiobook opportunities to their
learners. Audiobooks provide an excellent option while promoting literacy
by focusing on the art of listening. As librarians, we must explore more
varied avenues for meeting the literacy needs of all learners.

This webinar will focus on defining why critical listening is essential,
the benefits of audiobooks, and an introduction to audiobook programs that
support libraries and classrooms. Tune in for tips to promote the
circulation of an audiobook collection, as well as suggestions for funding
audio. The webinar will conclude with an "I'm listening...now ask me
anything about audiobooks: Q and A".

*Join us to learn:*

   - Why critical listening skills will help your students succeed
   - How to use audiobooks to meet the literacy needs of all learners
   - Tips to get your audiobook collection circulating
   - Ways to fund the development of your audiobook collection

<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=9ff3a4c64d&e=a5e93056ab>
*5pm EST / 2pm PST*

<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=ab6cd9efed&e=a5e93056ab>

*Door Prizes! *
Samsung Galaxy Tablet

*
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=5959d052d2&e=a5e93056ab>*
SAVE YOUR SPOT!
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=641f25a18f&e=a5e93056ab>
Thank you to our webinar sponsor,* OverDrive Education
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=4a8e6e51b9&e=a5e93056ab>*!

<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=e730def1fc&e=a5e93056ab>

*Can’t make it on September 12? Register
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=7dd8dbad61&e=a5e93056ab>
to be updated when the recording is available for viewing!*

*Rose Brock*, PhD, is assistant professor in the Department of Library
Science at Sam Houston State University, in Huntsville, Texas. A veteran
educator and advocate for using audiobooks as a tool for literacy, she is
cofounder of the literacy initiative Guys Listen, a part of the Guys Read
literacy national program. Dr. Brock was awarded the Siddie Joe Johnson
Award for Outstanding Service to Youth by the Texas Library Association and
is one of the cofounders of the North Texas Teen Book Festival. She is
author of the third edition of *Young Adult Literature in Action: A
Librarian's Guide* and the editor of *Hope Nation: Young Adult Authors
Share Personal Moments of Inspiration*. Twitter: @reallyrosebrock
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=b2969c0316&e=a5e93056ab>
Did you know...

*School Library Connection's Community
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=c0d4b06c84&e=a5e93056ab>*
resources
are *FREE*?
Forward this email and share with others!
Stay Connected: Join Our Mailing List
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=dc9474bcb1&e=a5e93056ab>
<https://abc-clio.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9020654d12d0477373ac2fded&id=3595e992f5&e=a5e93056ab>
Website