[Library Media] Request your free WWI: Lessons and Legacies poster exhibition

Sharon Deeds sdeeds at utah.gov
Thu Aug 22 15:34:47 MDT 2019

FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Sarah Ostman* <sostman at ala.org>
Date: Thursday, August 22, 2019
Subject: Request your free WWI: Lessons and Legacies poster exhibition

The Smithsonian Institution is offering a free poster exhibition to
libraries. *World War I: Lessons and Legacies* is available while supplies
last. *Request your posters now.
<https://www.sites.si.edu/s/topic/0TO1Q000000cUUUWA2/world-war-i-lessons-and-legacies-for-libraries>*

The opportunity is available to all types of libraries (e.g., public,
school, college/university and special libraries). The deadline for
requests is Sept. 13, 2019.

Participating libraries will receive, free of charge:

   - Collection of eight 18”x 26” posters
   - Digital *World War I: Lessons and Legacies Educators *Guide with
   discussion questions and resources that align to national teaching standards
   - Detailed Poster Handbook and User Guide with display instructions and
   promotional resources

Available exclusively to libraries of all types, *World War I: Lessons and
Legacies
<https://www.sites.si.edu/s/topic/0TO1Q000000cUUUWA2/world-war-i-lessons-and-legacies-for-libraries>*
explores the history of World War I and its lasting impact on American
life. Sparked by the assassination of one man, the war eventually included
the forces of the world's major industrial powers (over 18 countries in
all) and led to pivotal changes in America’s culture, technology, economy
and role in the world. Wartime technologies and medical advances resulted
in new industries and novel ways to fight disease and treat disability. The
critical roles that women and minorities played in the war led to the right
to vote for women and a raised consciousness of civil rights issues
throughout society.

>From the Great Migration to the 1918 flu pandemic and from the unionization
movement to women's suffrage, World War I led to pivotal changes in
America's culture, technology, economy and role in the world. It redefined
how we saw ourselves as Americans and its legacy continues today.

*World War I: Lessons and Legacies* is organized by the Smithsonian
Institution Traveling Exhibition Service and the National Museum of
American History, with funding from The United States World War I
Centennial Commission and the Smithsonian Women’s Committee.

_____________

Sarah Ostman

Communications Manager

American Library Association
Public Programs Office

Sharon Deeds, Youth Services Coordinator/Consultant
Utah State Library Division
250 N 1950 W  Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT 84116-7901
801-715-6742