[Library Media] Classroom libraries integrated w school libraries?

Heather Novotny hnovotny at mcgillisschool.org
Thu Nov 29 13:25:07 MST 2018

I think the middle school faculty wants to do it because they don't have big classroom libraries and don't have collection development and collection management experience.

I would not really want to do this for a lower school classroom with a huge existing collection.

I told Mike the 6th grade ELA teacher that I would weed and manage the collection to professional standards, so if he had a copy of the Hobbit from 1965 it would be removed and replaced--he seemed fine with that.

Their vision is that the books can be shared by anyone, and we could rotate collections around to keep fresh books in the students' enviornment. Not sure how that would work yet. Alexandria, our ILS, is not optimized for floating collections. I can see checking a collection out to a work card or display card, that would be an easy way to track but those books would show status checked out, so maybe that wouldn't work...

Heather Novotny
Librarian
The McGillis School
668 South 1300 East