[Library Media] Classroom libraries integrated w school libraries?

Mariah Gerlach mgerlach at providencehall.com
Thu Nov 29 11:34:19 MST 2018

I'm similar to Kathy.

All textbooks and other school-property items (iPads, computers, speakers,
etc) are barcoded and checked out through us.  If classroom budgets buy
them, I don't usually get involved.  Books teachers bring in themselves, I
don't bother with.  Lots of teachers like taking my weeded books for their
classroom libraries, and I certainly don't want to mess with those again.

Class sets of textbooks are inventoried by me each year, but I think a lot
of what teachers have in their classrooms besides that they need to be
responsible for themselves.  Would the items be cataloged so that they can
share with other classrooms?  What's the purpose?  Where possible, I like
to ensure the validity and necessity of the library as the heart of the
school, rather than everybody's manager of all their *stuff. *

Good luck!

*Mariah Gerlach MLS*
*High School Head Librarian*
*ALA <http://www.ala.org/>, AASL <http://www.ala.org/aasl/> Member*
*UELMA <https://uelma.org/> Board Member*
*Providence Hall International **Baccalaureate*
<https://providencehall.com/>
*mgerlach at providencehall.com <http://goog_1434365220>*
*donorschoose.org/PHHSlibrary <http://donorschoose.org/PHHSlibrary>*

Currently Reading