[Library Media] Classroom libraries integrated w school libraries?

Kathy Ballard kathy.ballard at monticelloacademy.net
Thu Nov 29 11:24:59 MST 2018

After a few years, they had me catalog all the textbooks in the school. We
did it at the end of the summer and I was able to hire some of my best
volunteers to help me.

So now, I catalog all books that are school property. Then I am responsible
to do an inventory of each class. I try to do new teachers at the beginning
of the year and others throughout the year. Then I do teachers who are
leaving at the end of the year. This year, due to a major remodeling
project at the school, I am way behind. (Shhhh, don't tell anyone.)

We use Destiny and so the barcodes use a 4 as an indicator so I know they
are textbooks. I have also created some other call number designations but
I usually don't put call numbers on the textbooks.

Kathy Ballard
Librarian
Monticello Academy

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:27 AM Heather Novotny <
hnovotny at mcgillisschool.org> wrote:

> Hi, dear friends & colleagues!
>
> Has anyone ever been asked to catalog materials in classroom libraries,
> and manage what are essentially satellite collections in classrooms?
>
> I think this is a great idea from collection development and collection
> management standpoints. But, there are intellectual freedom considerations
> as well as logistical challenges.
>
> This idea comes from our middle school ELA faculty, so if they want me to
> do it I am absolutely going to do it even if it's a pain for me
> personally--but I would like to think it through ahead of time so I
> understand how it could go wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights!
>
> best,
> Heather
>
> *Heather Novotny*
>
> Librarian
>
> The McGillis School <https://mcgillisschool.org/>
>
> 668 South 1300 East
>
> Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
>
> 801-583-0094

> NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Kathy Ballard
Librarian
Monticello Academy