[Library Media] Genrefying

Kathy Ballard kathy.ballard at monticelloacademy.net
Sat Oct 27 15:33:22 MDT 2018

I genrified mine almost two years ago. Well, I did it with my middle school
fiction. I like it for them because they can more easily find books in the
genres they like. It helped me realize which sections are big and which
need more titles.

I was going to do it for my elementary fiction, but I have decided not to.
At least not in the near future. In some ways, it has made finding books
harder because they have to know or figure out the genre and then find it.
It adds an extra step if they are using the catalog. So I don't want to add
that extra step for my younger students.

My catagories are
Adventure
Classics
Dystopian
Fairy tales
Fantasy
Historical fiction
Horror
Mystery
Mythology
Realistic fiction
Science fiction
Sports
Supernatural

Kathy Ballard
Librarian
Monticello Academy

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 10:06 AM Danae Leu <dleu at dsdmail.net> wrote:

> Okay, after Josh tweeted this: http://www.librarygirl.net/
>

> I can't get over the fact that I will be serving my students best by
> shelving my fiction by Genre. It is such a huge step I'd love to hear from
> those of you who've made the plunge. Mostly, I'd like a list of the genre
> divisions you used. I'm thinking:
>

>    - Realistic
>       - maybe: Sports
>    - Fantasy
>       - Maybe: Animal books (Sentient and pets together)
>    - Sci-Fic
>       - Maybe: Dystopia
>    - Historical Fiction
>       - maybe: Adventure
>    - Humor
>    - Mystery
>       - Maybe: Horror
>    - Graphic Novels
>

> I'm not sure about the sub-genres. Would you think that is getting too
> specific? I've also been using spine stickers for Romance, Westerns, Verse,
> Holocaust, but they are all to small and can easily fit into larger genres.
>

> Anyway I'd love to hear what some of you have done. Thank you, DaNae
> The Adventures of Library Girl <http://www.librarygirl.net/>
> www.librarygirl.net
> Yesterday, I stopped at Starbucks on my way home and had a conversation
> with a barista named Ryan. I’ve replayed it about a hundred times since
> walking out of the coffee shop with my latte.
>

> DaNae Leu
>
> Librariest
>
> Snow Horse Elementary
>

> “Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours
> of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't
> carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.”   ― Stephen
> King <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3389.Stephen_King>
>
> Currently Reading
> <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
> [image: Book Cover]