[Library Media] Start Over Again -- Every Year

georgeweight at integrity.com georgeweight at integrity.com
Tue Oct 23 06:23:28 MDT 2018

Still fighting for recognition. When I was on the board of UELMA, serving
as its president for one year, we lobbied the legislature heavily to keep
funding for school libraries. Our efforts resulted in getting funding
stabilized, resulting in several thousand dollars retained by our district
that otherwise would have been cut.
Did I get any recognition? No--just criticism for being away from school
to perform lobbying efforts and pressure to replace me with a classified
"librarian."
No offense to those classified people out there--but IMO school libraries
don't function as well as they could without a certified and committed
Library Media Teacher at the helm.
"Can't afford a Cadillac on a Ford budget" was the word I got from the Sup.
Funny-that money that was retained more than paid for my salary.
BTW: if classified people are doing an effective job--and many are--why
aren't they paid the same salary?