[Library Media] book purchases

Karen Draper kdraper at wsd.net
Fri Oct 12 10:30:58 MDT 2018

Rather than ask teachers what books they want, ask what topics they focus
on and would benefit their curriculum. Ask them to just make a list-- this
should take less than 5 minutes and from there the catalog analysis from
Titlewave can be more helpful.

I agree about the low page count. I have spoken to vendors and written
letters to publishers about this very problem. My thought is that if we do
not buy them maybe at some point they will get the message.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Kathy Ballard <
kathy.ballard at monticelloacademy.net> wrote:

> Will your catalog do a library evaluation to see where you have gaps or
> where your material is especially old? I would start there.
>
> I tend to use Titlewave and Permabound the most. I try to look for book
> reviews and lexile levels as I select books.
>
> My nonfiction section is heavily influenced by the state core as well as
> the focus of our charter and our main curriculum (Core Knowledge).
>
> In my experience, most teachers don't really know books to recommend.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kathy Ballard
> Librarian
> Monticello Academy
>

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:06 AM Tom Alleman <allemant at carbonschools.org>
> wrote:
>
>> What are your thoughts on the various book providers out there? I am
>> trying to update our collection but teachers are too busy and don't have
>> the time to offer any suggestions. So it is up to me to find books. I've
>> looked through many preview boxes and have found many titles and subjects
>> that would be great for our library. But I'm not impressed with the meager
>> content and price. Paying at least $25.00 for a book that is maybe 50 pages
>> with 3/4 of those pages covered with photos is not a good way to spend my
>> limited budget. What are your thoughts and suggestions? My focus is on
>> updating our nonfiction section.
>> Tom Alleman
>> --
>> Tommas W. Alleman
>> allemant at carbonschools.org
>> Librarian
>> Carbon High School
>> 750 E. 400 N.
>> Price, Ut 84501
>> 435.637.2463
>> fax 435.637.4127
>>

> --
> Kathy Ballard
> Librarian
> Monticello Academy

Karen Draper
NOJH Library
"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them." Michael Moore