[Library Media] book purchases

Kathy Ballard kathy.ballard at monticelloacademy.net
Fri Oct 12 10:22:04 MDT 2018

Will your catalog do a library evaluation to see where you have gaps or
where your material is especially old? I would start there.

I tend to use Titlewave and Permabound the most. I try to look for book
reviews and lexile levels as I select books.

My nonfiction section is heavily influenced by the state core as well as
the focus of our charter and our main curriculum (Core Knowledge).

In my experience, most teachers don't really know books to recommend.

Hope this helps.

Kathy Ballard
Librarian
Monticello Academy

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:06 AM Tom Alleman <allemant at carbonschools.org>
wrote:

> What are your thoughts on the various book providers out there? I am
> trying to update our collection but teachers are too busy and don't have
> the time to offer any suggestions. So it is up to me to find books. I've
> looked through many preview boxes and have found many titles and subjects
> that would be great for our library. But I'm not impressed with the meager
> content and price. Paying at least $25.00 for a book that is maybe 50 pages
> with 3/4 of those pages covered with photos is not a good way to spend my
> limited budget. What are your thoughts and suggestions? My focus is on
> updating our nonfiction section.
> Tom Alleman
> --
> Tommas W. Alleman