[Library Media] UETN addresses EBSCO Library Issues

Rich Finlinson rfin at uen.org
Mon Sep 24 12:04:09 MDT 2018

You may be aware that K12 EBSCO library resources are currently unavailable on Utah’s Online Library. We have taken this precaution because of ongoing concerns about some inappropriate EBSCO content for K12 students.

We have been in communication with EBSCO throughout the weekend and are working to resolve immediate concerns and put in place more proactive means to avoid future problems. Here is the statement from UETN Chief Operating Officer Laura Hunter that is currently posted at uen.org:

EBSCO K-12 Content Unavailable
Ongoing concerns about content prompted action.

The Utah Education and Telehealth Network (UETN) places a high priority on the safety and well-being of students and is taking additional action to address concerns about inappropriate content within EBSCO services for K12 students.

“The EBSCO databases for K12 students will be unavailable until further notice,” said UETN Chief Operating Officer Laura Hunter. “We realize the K12 students we serve need ongoing library access for homework and our most popular K12 services including CultureGrams, World Book and the Gale Reference Library will not be affected. EBSCO for higher education and public libraries will remain accessible.”

Rich Finlinson, M.Ed, APR
Communication Manager
Utah Education and Telehealth Network
The University of Utah