[Library Media] Harassment in KidLit and Utah

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org
Wed May 23 20:19:32 MDT 2018

*DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT THE CURRENT
CONTROVERSY WITH RICHARD PAUL EVANS. I am not emailing this to offend
anyone or to ask you to make any changes or judgments.  I just want you to
have access to the full chronology of the circumstances. I think many of
you have by now heard about what is going with Richard Paul Evans (RPE)
 right now. If this is the first that you have heard of it, then you have
come in in the middle of the conversation.  If you’d like to know more
about what has been happening in the KidLitverse, then here are some
articles, twitterfeeds, and blogposts you might read. 1.  In response to
what was happening with Harvey Weinstein, Anne Ursu decided to send out a
survey to see if there were similar stories lurking in KidLit.  This is the
blogpost that she wrote. You might want to read the comments (there are A
LOT of them), because there is where some Utah authors get
involved.https://medium.com/@anneursu_10179/sexual-harassment-in-the-childrens-book-industry-3417048ccde2
<https://medium.com/@anneursu_10179/sexual-harassment-in-the-childrens-book-industry-3417048ccde2>
2. Here is a summary, with updates of the actual named individuals who came
out in the comments of Anne’s
blogpost.http://www.theyakitten.net/2018/02/12/a-comprehensive-list-of-the-recent-kidlit-sexual-harassment-allegations/
<http://www.theyakitten.net/2018/02/12/a-comprehensive-list-of-the-recent-kidlit-sexual-harassment-allegations/>
3.  Here is a summary of the fallout or responses from some of the named
people.https://www.slj.com/2018/02/industry-news/unpacking-anne-ursus-survey-fallout-changes-coming-events-sexual-harassment-childrens-publishing/
<https://www.slj.com/2018/02/industry-news/unpacking-anne-ursus-survey-fallout-changes-coming-events-sexual-harassment-childrens-publishing/>
4.  This is how Dan Wells reacted after he was accused and then the accuser
recanted. http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=2650
<http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=2650> 5. Dan’s post was in February
after for a little bit after that, things were kind of quiet, unless you
are on Twitter, where things were still brewing.  If you follow Ally
Condie, Shannon, Hale, Bree Despain, Sara Zarr, Linsey Leavitt, then you
probably know all of this already. These women, rightfully so, were stewing
about what their fellow authors were saying about RPE. 6.  Robison Wells
was hearing from women telling him specifically about women being harassed
by RPE at conferences and ComicCon (FanX now).  He posted on Facebook, with
updates about what he was
hearing.https://www.facebook.com/robisonwells/posts/10155550317198907
<https://www.facebook.com/robisonwells/posts/10155550317198907> 7.  On May
1st, a group of female authors decided to start a pledge that they would
not attend events without clear anti-harassment policies with
confidentiality and consequences. In the comments you can see the names of
the people who have signed it so far. You can also see that on May 14th
Bryan Brandenberg from FanX specifically asked for feedback about their
harassment policy.http://harassmentpledge.blogspot.com
<http://harassmentpledge.blogspot.com> 8. On May 8th Sean Means of the Salt
Lake Tribune wrote an article about RPE being uninvited to
Fanx.https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2018/05/08/utah-author-richard-paul-evans-among-guests-not-invited-back-to-fanx-as-convention-faces-pressure-to-write-anti-harassment-policy/
<https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2018/05/08/utah-author-richard-paul-evans-among-guests-not-invited-back-to-fanx-as-convention-faces-pressure-to-write-anti-harassment-policy/>
9. On May 10 Robison Wells made a video about the events to
date.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DG-Ec0IEbo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DG-Ec0IEbo> 10. On May 13th Bob Evans
from Fox 13 sat down with RPE for his 3 Questions
segment.http://fox13now.com/2018/05/13/3-questions-with-bob-evans-author-richard-paul-evans-talks-hugs-tolerance-and-his-tribe-of-kyngs/
<http://fox13now.com/2018/05/13/3-questions-with-bob-evans-author-richard-paul-evans-talks-hugs-tolerance-and-his-tribe-of-kyngs/>
11.  In reaction, twitter lit up in the Utah KidLit community.  See the
twitter feeds I mentioned above. 12.  At some point Shannon Hale started
communicating with FanX about this harassment policy and what they were
specifically going to do and say about RPE.  In response, On May 21st they
doxxed her (posted her personal email online for everyone to see) and
dismissed her concerns as trivial and called the #metoo movement trendy.
Shannon has deleted the post that shows her email and the response she
received. Here is an inadequate
summary.http://fox13now.com/2018/05/21/fanx-co-founder-apologizes-for-suggesting-utah-author-sit-this-one-out-after-harassment-inquiry/
<http://fox13now.com/2018/05/21/fanx-co-founder-apologizes-for-suggesting-utah-author-sit-this-one-out-after-harassment-inquiry/>
13.  On May 22nd, RPE voluntarily talked to KUTV reporter Chris
Jones.http://kutv.com/news/local/christmas-box-author-makes-eyebrow-raising-comments
<http://kutv.com/news/local/christmas-box-author-makes-eyebrow-raising-comments>
14. May 23rd Shannon Hale explains why she is adamant about RPE’s
behavior.https://twitter.com/haleshannon/status/999279334241140736
<https://twitter.com/haleshannon/status/999279334241140736> 15.  Article
about FanX on May
23rd.https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2018/05/23/after-sexual-harassment-controversy-fanx-says-its-founders-are-stepping-back-and-it-will-donate-to-times-up/
<https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2018/05/23/after-sexual-harassment-controversy-fanx-says-its-founders-are-stepping-back-and-it-will-donate-to-times-up/>
Do with this information what you will, but now you know what has happened
and what is being said.  We each have to decide for ourselves and for our
libraries what we should/would/could do. I am not telling you to do
anything.  I just want you, my friends, to be informed.Summer is so close,
I can taste it!  I hope you all have a great time recharging your batteries
and I’ll see you in August! Cindy*

--
Cindy Mitchell
South Jordan Middle School