[Library Media] FW: AASL Spring Update

Wyness, Lorraine lwyness at graniteschools.org
Mon May 21 07:52:25 MDT 2018

For  all school library professionals!

From: Katie Williams <kjwbooks at comcast.net>

Subject: AASL Spring Update

I have a few  announcements that I would like you to share with school librarians in Utah.

Membership Meeting
AASL  will hold its annual membership meeting at 6 p.m. Central (4 p.m. Pacific) on Thursday, May 31.  Held virtually, the membership meeting will be the second quarterly meeting of AASL Connection (#aaslcxn), a new conversation point for the school library profession. More information can be found at www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/AASLcxn<http://www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/AASLcxn>.    The annual membership meeting provides AASL members with a “state of the association” update via reports from leadership. As the membership meeting requires no official vote of AASL membership, all school library professionals are invited to attend. During the event, AASL leadership will report out on initiatives, programs, recognitions and financial standing.  If you are not a member, this would be a great opportunity to learn about the good work that AASL is doing on behalf of school libraries throughout the nation!
The AASL Board is excited to continue our quarterly live #aaslcxn webinars with the annual membership meeting next month," said AASL President Steven Yates. "Follow the hashtag throughout May for speaker previews and prize announcements for webinar attendees and archive viewers!
ALA Elections results
Your new AASL officers are:
Board of Directors
President-Elect: Mary Keeling
AASL Division Councilor: Diane Chen
Region 1 Director: Anita Cellucci
Region 3 Director: Kathy Lester
Region 6 Director: Becky Calzada
Region 7 Director: Sue Heraper
 Educators of School Librarians Section
Chair-Elect: Elizabeth A. Burns
Secretary: Sarah Meghan Harper
 Independent Schools Section
Chair-Elect: Elizabeth Nelson
Secretary: Sarah Ludwig
Representative to the Board: Phoebe Warmack
 Supervisors Section
Chair-Elect: Susan Gauthier
 ALA Annual
This year’s ALA Annual in New Orleans promises to be a great conference…opening with Michelle Obama and closing with Viola Davis (and lots of exciting speakers and sessions in between). I hope that many of you will try to attend, June 22-26.  If you do, I would encourage you to observe the  Affiliate Assembly meetings to see what issues and commendations are brought forth from the membership at these meetings. FYI…they are scheduled for Friday 7-9 pm, and Sunday 8-12 am.  For the past 3 years California and Nevada have been the only affiliates in attendance.  I would love to see members from Hawaii, Utah and Arizona join us!

 Finally,  I will be completing my 3-year term as your director at the end of this conference. I want to thank you for the opportunity to serve you, and to keep the lines of communication open between  UEMLA and AASL.  Your new director will be Sue Heraper, who most recently was President of the California School Library Association.  She is an energetic high school librarian from Southern California, and I know she will do a great job for you.
 Hope to see you in New Orleans!
All my best,
Katie
Katie Williams