[Library Media] Fwd: Women's Empowerment Text Sets for Educators

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Wed Mar 7 15:56:36 MST 2018

Dear Colleagues,
Please accept this forwarded email NOT as a State Library endorsement or
promotion of Lee & Low Books as a business. I am sharing this message in
the spirit of making you aware of a good list of multicultural titles, in
this case, of empowerment literature featuring women for the students and
families you work with. Please share or discard as you deem appropriate.
~Juan

Having trouble viewing this Email? Click here
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMTI/index.html>
to view in a browser.
[image: LLB]

[image: Lee & Low header]
The largest multicultural children's book publisher in the U.S.
We are your diversity source. Books
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMTQ/index.html>
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMTU/index.html>
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMTY/index.html>
| Educators
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMTg/index.html>

March 7, 2018

*Empowerment Text Sets Featuring Women*
[image: Women's Empowerment Images]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMTk/index.html>

The recent spotlight on gender discrimination and harassment reminds us of
the urgency of providing young children—both boys and girls—with female
role models.

Our new *Empowerment Text Sets
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjA/index.html>*
feature female historical figures and girl characters who exhibit
independence and determination as they solve problems, strive for their
dreams, and achieve their goals. These mentor texts star women and girls
who are thinkers and role models to inspire all children. Discussion
questions and activities to use in the classroom follow each text set.

Use the *Women's Empowerment Diverse Book List*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjI/index.html>
for inspiration for not only this month’s Women’s History Month, but all
year long.
READ MORE
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjA/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]

*Women's Empowerment Text Sets*
[image: Empowerment Text Set PreK-2]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjM/index.html>
Women's Empowerment Text Sets Grades PreK-2
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjQ/index.html>
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjY/index.html>
  [image: Spacer]
[image: Women's Empowerment Text Sets Grades 3-5]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjc/index.html>

*Women's Empowerment Text Sets Grades 3-5*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMjk/index.html>

[image: Spacer]
 [image: Empowerment Text Sets Grades 6-8]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzE/index.html>
*Women's Empowerment Text Sets Grades 6-8*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzE/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*Watch the Webinar: Dual Language Leveled Reading*

In case you missed it, check out our *blog post
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzM/index.html>*
on the “Más Piñata and the Benefits of Dual Language Leveled Reading
Webinar!” In this blog post you can find the recorded webinar and links to
our new Más Piñata Guided Reading collections.
READ MORE
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzU/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]

*New Más Piñata Dual Language Leveled Reading Collections*
[image: Mas Pinata English]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzc/index.html>
Más Piñata English Guided Reading Collection
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzc/index.html>
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzg/index.html>
  [image: Spacer]
[image: Mas Pinata Spanish Collection]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzk/index.html>

*Más Piñata Spanish Guided Reading Collection*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwMzk/index.html>

[image: Spacer]
 [image: Mas Pinata Dual Language]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDE/index.html>
*Más Piñata Dual Language Guided Reading Collection*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDE/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*The Big Read: A Place Where Sunflowers Grow*
[image: A Place Where Sunflowers Grow]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDI/index.html>

Last November, Amy Lee-Tai, author of *A Place Where Sunflowers Grow*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDI/index.html>,
participated in a program called “The Big Read.” Funded by the National
Endowment for the Arts, this program provides grants annually to about 75
communities across America to create programming around a single book.

Holland, Michigan chose her book *A Place Where Sunflowers Grow *as the
children’s book for their Big Read event, paired with the adult book *When
the Emperor Was Divine *by Julie Otsuka. Over 600 copies of *A Place Where
Sunflowers Grow *were distributed in the community, and author Amy Lee-Tai
spoke at the library and schools. Check out our blog post
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDM/index.html>
to learn more about this amazing program!
READ MORE
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDM/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*Midnight Teacher: Lilly Ann Granderson and Her Secret School*
[image: Midnight Teacher]
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDU/index.html>

LEE & LOW is excited to announce that the complimentary Teacher’s
Guide for *Midnight
Teacher: Lilly Ann Granderson and Her Secret School
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDY/index.html>*
is now available for educators to use and adapt with students! You can find
the Teacher’s Guide *here*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDg/index.html>*.
 *

Along with the Teacher’s Guide, read about Lilly Ann Granderson’s legacy
with author Janet Halfmann
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNTA/index.html>!
Janet speaks about the research and writing process behind *Midnight
Teacher: Lilly Ann Granderson and Her Secret School *in addition to what
readers can learn from Lilly Ann Granderson’s life. You can find the link
to the interview *here.*
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNTI/index.html>

"I hope that this book inspires readers to fight for what they know is
right, just like Lilly Ann Granderson did," says Janet Halfmann. "I also
hope it makes them realize how much the actions of just one person can help
and inspire so many others for generations. Readers will realize what a
gift it is to be able to attend school and learn and they’ll be inspired to
research other untold stories. There are so many more to be found."
READ MORE
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNDU/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*Come See Us This Month at NYSABE, ASCD, and CABE!*

Will you be attending the NYSABE Conference in Long Island, the ASCD
Conference in Boston, or the CABE Conference in Sacramento? Come introduce
yourself and meet the Lee & Low Books team! We’ll have posters to give
away, raffles to win books, and more!

Find us here:

*March 15-17, 2018 | NYSABE in the Exhibit Hall *
*March 24-26, 2018 | ASCD Empower18 in Booth #1842**March 28-31, 2018 |
CABE in Booth #206*

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*Customize Your Classroom Library*

Looking for the right collection for your students and curriculum? Let us
help! Our team can help you build the culturally responsive collection you
are looking for based on your students’ needs and diverse experiences,
including:

   - Bilingual and Dual Language Programs
   - Reading Levels
   - Themes and Curriculum Units
   - High Interest-Low Readability
   - Middle and High School

Fill out our *online form
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNTU/index.html>*
or contact Vice President of Educational Sales, *Abe Barretto*, at
*abarretto at leeandlow.com*
<abarretto at leeandlow.com?subject=Classroom%20Collection%20Customization>
or (212)
779-4400 ext. 23 <(212)%20779-4400> to get started.
*GET IN TOUCH FOR A FREE CUSTOMIZED QUOTE*
<vlabarca at leeandlow.com?subject=Custom%20Order>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*What We're Reading: Five Favorite Resources for Educators*

   - Here's our list of children's books that feature girls and women in
   sports
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNTg/index.html>
   .

   - From *NPR Ed*: Why Schools Fail to Teach Slavery's Hard History
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNjA/index.html>
   .

   - From *The New York Times: *Resources for Talking and Teaching about
   the School Shooting in Florida
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNjI/index.html>
   .

   - From *Reading Rockets*: How to Teach Writing in Kindergarten
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNjM/index.html>
   .

- Check out the 2018 Great Graphic Novels for Teens list
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNjY/index.html>
from
   YALSA including *I Am Alfonso Jones
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDI3NjQ3JnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NTI1MzEwNjk/index.html>,