[Library Media] Tips on teaching academic honesty and how to avoid plagerism

Heather Tomlinson htomlinson at malions.org
Fri Jan 5 08:42:29 MST 2018

For grades 4 & 5, I show a short video about copyright that I downloaded
from https://jointhecteam.com/ a few years ago.
It's a good introduction to lessons on plagiarism and citing sources,
explaining why it's important to get permission from and give credit to (or
pay) the original creator.  (I explain the educational exemption idea: if
you are using information for educational purposes, you automatically have
permission.  Just cite your source)
Depending on the group of students, we usually have a really good
discussion on copyright, pirating, fairness, etc.  (they usually have
stories to share and 'what if' questions I can't always answer about
copyright law)
​​
I also use the picture book "When Marion copied" by Brook Berg for grades
3, 4, & 5.  (I use a couple other 'Marion' books, too - so they're familiar
with the character)
It talks about plagiarism and citing sources.

Mountainville Academy Library Catalog
from home: Destiny <http://destiny.mountainvilleacademy.org/> (accessible
from any computer *outside* the school)
from school: Destiny <http://10.8.10.28/> (accessible from any computer