[Library Media] Opportunities & Resources from tolerance.org

Sharon Deeds sdeeds at utah.gov
Tue Nov 14 15:51:36 MST 2017

​From Beth Yoke, YALSA....​

*Opportunities & Resources from tolerance.org <http://tolerance.org>:*

*Educator Grants* – tolerance.org is funding projects at the classroom,
school and district levels. Grants are awarded on a rolling basis, so apply
any time. Learn more on their web site
<https://www.tolerance.org/about/educator-grant-guidelines> and check out
some of our recent grantees
<https://www.tolerance.org/about/educator-grant-guidelines>!

*Award for Excellence in Teaching* – This biennial award recognizes five
classroom educators who teach students the skills and knowledge to thrive
in a diverse democracy. Does this sound like you or someone you know? Apply
yourself, or nominate a colleague
<https://www.tolerance.org/award/award-for-excellence-in-teaching> !
There’s a $2,500 cash prize! Nominations and applications accepted through
December 10, 2017.

*Digital Literacy Initiative* – Teaching Tolerance just launched a new set
of materials designed to help educators teach about fake news, filter
bubbles and media manipulation among other issues. Our D
<https://www.tolerance.org/frameworks/digital-literacy>igital Literacy
Framework <https://www.tolerance.org/frameworks/digital-literacy> includes
K–12 lessons and a PD module. Start with our video on “How Fake News
Becomes News
<https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/how-does-fake-news-become-news>
<https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/how-does-fake-news-become-news>,” and
stay tuned for more student-friendly videos.

-Beth

Beth Yoke, CAE

Executive Director

Young Adult Library Services Association

50 E. Huron St. Chicago, IL 60611
<https://maps.google.com/?q=50+E.+Huron+St.+Chicago,+IL+60611&entry=gmail&source=g>

1.800.545.2433 x4391 <(800)%20545-2433>

fax: 312.280.5276 <(312)%20280-5276>

byoke at ala.org

@yalsa_director

*Got $5? ALA will turn it into $10! Donate now
<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/givetoyalsa/give> and double your impact via
ALA’s matching campaign! *

--
Sharon Deeds, Youth Services Coordinator/Consultant
Utah State Library Division
sdeeds at utah.gov