[Library Media] Mandatory (should be) reading for all librarians!

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org
Tue Sep 19 08:22:29 MDT 2017

And principals and school board members:

Ban This Book by Alan Gratz.  Starscape, 2017.

I just finished this and haven't written up an official review, but I dub
this mandatory for at least all elementary and middle schools.  A great
look at what can happen in a school library and district when one person
decides that if they don't like a book it should be banned and the school
board ignores the Reconsideration policy and goes straight to removing.
While everything happens in a manner that shows Gratz talked to a lot of
librarians before writing, he writes with a tone and flair that makes this
very accessible to upper elementary and middle school students.

If you want something similar for high school, I would suggest The Sledding
Hill by Chris Crutcher.

Cheers!

--
Cindy Mitchell