[Library Media] ACTION NEEDED! Please fill out the ESSA Survey by July 7th!

Sarah Herron Sarah.Herron at slcschools.org
Wed Jun 28 22:45:53 MDT 2017

Dear Library-Media List-serv members,

Since last October, UELMA has held informational workshops on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) in anticipation of the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) creating the Utah Consolidated State Plan to submit to the Department of Education. The Draft of the Plan has been completed and is now open for public comment.

Unfortunately, despite ESSA specifically mentioning “school librarians” (six times) and “library” (10 times) as possible recipients of funding, the Utah Draft Plan mentions neither. School library programs and student achievement will be impacted by this omission.  We want the Consolidated State Plan to allow districts to use parts of the ESSA funding to hire teacher librarians, to train librarians, and to support library programs and resources.

We still have a chance to influence this Draft Plan. Please fill out the Public Comment Survey found on the following website: http://www.uen.org/essa/comment.shtml. The survey deadline is July 7th.

The document attached to this e-mail (Word and PDF formats) was created to clarify sections of ESSA in order to help you answer the Survey questions. We are very grateful to Brian Ferguson and Fawn Morgan, UELMA/schoollibraryPALS leaders and past school librarians for compiling this information and to the PALS Steering Committee for encouraging their membership to complete the survey. Our State Board of Education needs to know that people care about Utah school library programs.

Thank you for your support!

Sarah G. Herron
Past President, Utah Educational Library Media Association
Library Technology Teacher, M. Ed.
East High School

840 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84102

Email: sarah.herron at slcschools.org<mailto:sarah.herron at slcschools.org>

Phone:    801-583-1661 x2202
Fax:         801-584-2927

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them."
Michael Moore
Scanned By Microsoft EOP