[Library Media] REGISTER NOW Free Webinar "Bridges to Citizenship: USCIS and Public Libraries" June 8th

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Fri Jun 2 14:18:53 MDT 2017

*Please register today! If you can't attend the live session, we will be
archiving the webinar - so, register now. I **will follow up with
participants to discuss specific needs and possibilities for funding
special projects to enhance the role of libraries in citizenship and
immigration.*
*~Juan*

​
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FREE WEBINAR
*Bridges to Citizenship: USCIS and Public Libraries Expanding and Enhancing
Services for Immigrant Communities
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bridges-to-citizenship-tickets-33869717236?ref=ebapi>*
Thursday, June 8, 2017
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM MDT

The State Library will host a *free webinar
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bridges-to-citizenship-tickets-33869717236?ref=ebapi>*
conducted
by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) guiding librarians
how to expand and enhance their services for immigrants in Utah. In this
1-hour training Amber Vasek, USCIS Community Relations Officer will explain:

(1) the unlawful practice of immigration law and how it could affect
librarians,
(2) resources available to librarians and patrons, and
(3) how to create a partnership between the library and USCIS.

*Register Today!
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bridges-to-citizenship-tickets-33869717236?ref=ebapi>*

*Background*

> USCIS understands that libraries play a critical role in serving
> immigrant communities. In fact, more than 55% of new Americans use the
> public library at least once a week. There, they find a trusted
> environment, resources, and community connections. For many people new to
> the United States, libraries serve as a gateway to citizenship. Since 2013,
> IMLS has worked with USCIS to help libraries provide accurate and useful
> information about immigration and citizenship benefits, promote an
> awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensure the integrity of the
> immigration system.

*Juan Tomás Lee*, Library Consultant

he / him / his

Utah *State Library* Division