[Library Media] book reviews

Danae Leu dleu at dsdmail.net
Fri May 12 14:19:30 MDT 2017

I would caution about selecting books for a library based on "swear count" and content ratings because some, or even a majority of patrons might find issue. This type of self-censorship by librarians excludes patrons for which these books might be a perfect fit.

The six most respected professional journals reviewing books for children and teens are:

SLJ,  http://www.slj.com/#_

School Library Journal | The world's largest reviewer of ...<http://www.slj.com/#_>
www.slj.com
School Library Journal. The world's largest reviewer of books, multimedia, and technology for children and teens

Horn, http://www.hbook.com/horn-book-magazine-2/

[http://www.hbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/may2017magazine_300.jpg]<http://www.hbook.com/horn-book-magazine-2/>

Horn Book Magazine — The Horn Book<http://www.hbook.com/horn-book-magazine-2/>
www.hbook.com
Independent, opinionated, and stylish, The Horn Book Magazine has long been essential for everyone who cares about children’s and young adult literature.

Publisher's Weekly,http://www.publishersweekly.com/<https://www.google.com/search?q=publishers+weekly&oq=publish&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j35i39j0l3.4023j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>

[http://www.publishersweekly.com/images/cached/ARTICLE_PHOTO/photo/000/000/046/46824-v1-360x.JPG]<http://www.publishersweekly.com/>

Publishers Weekly - Book Reviews, Bestselling Books ...<http://www.publishersweekly.com/>
www.publishersweekly.com
Publishers Weekly is the international news website of book publishing and bookselling including business news, reviews, bestseller lists, commentaries and more.

Kirkus, https://www.kirkusreviews.com/

[https://d1fd687oe6a92y.cloudfront.net/14q1/img/logos/kirkus_500x95.png]<https://www.kirkusreviews.com/>

Book Reviews, Sites, Romance, Fantasy, Fiction | Kirkus ...<https://www.kirkusreviews.com/>
www.kirkusreviews.com
OUR STORY. Founded in 1933, Kirkus has been an authoritative voice in book discovery for 80 years. Kirkus Reviews magazine gives industry professionals a sneak peek ...

The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books , (BCCB) http://bccb.ischool.illinois.edu/

Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books<http://bccb.ischool.illinois.edu/>
bccb.ischool.illinois.edu
Welcome to the The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books We are one of the nation’s leading children’s book review journals for school and public librarians.

Booklist, https://www.booklistonline.com/

Booklist Online - Book Review Site for Librarians in ...<https://www.booklistonline.com/>
www.booklistonline.com
Booklist Online: The best book reviews for public libraries and school libraries, and the best books to read for your book club, brought to you by the ALA

You can certainly encourage students to do their own research on sites such as Common Sense and Kiss the Book, if they are cautious about content.

DaNae Leu

Librariest

Snow Horse Elementary

“Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.”   ― Stephen King<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3389.Stephen_King>

Currently Reading<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[Book Cover] <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
[Goodreads Logo] <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature> Get your own email signature<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>