[Library Media] Fwd: New Educator Resources for National Poetry Month

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Fri Apr 7 11:24:28 MDT 2017

PLEASE SHARE WITH FELLOW EDUCATORS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Juan Tomás Lee*, Library Consultant
Utah *State Library* Division
250 N 1950 W Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
801-715-6769  |  800-662-9150  |  jtlee at utah.gov

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---------- Forwarded message ----------
​​
Date: Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:00 AM
Subject: New Educator Resources for National Poetry Month

Having trouble viewing this Email? Click here
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2ODQ/index.html>
to view in a browser.
[image: LLB]

The largest multicultural children's book publisher in the U.S.
We are your diversity source. Books
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2ODU/index.html>
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2ODY/index.html>
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2ODc/index.html>
| Educators
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2ODg/index.html>

April 6, 2017

*Classroom Library Customization*

Dear Juan,

We’d love to speak more with you and your school team to help bring *culturally
responsive* books into your classroom and help you build a *customized book
list *based on your students’ needs and diverse experiences:

   - Bilingual and Dual Language Programs
   - Reading Levels
   - Themes and Curriculum Units
   - High Interest-Low Readability
   - Middle and High School

Contact Vice President of Educational Sales, *Abe Barretto*, at
*abarretto at leeandlow.com*
<abarretto at leeandlow.com?subject=Classroom%20Collection%20Customization> to
get started, and read on for some of our favorite National Poetry Month
book recommendations to celebrate April!

Warmly,

Abe Barretto, Vice President of Educational Sales
LEE & LOW BOOKS
(212) 779-4400 ext. 23 <(212)%20779-4400>
*CLICK HERE FOR A FREE CUSTOMIZED QUOTE*
<vschneider at leeandlow.com?subject=Classroom%20Collection%20Customization>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*Spotlight: Poetry Month Books*
[image: Poetry Month Books]

Celebrate *National Poetry Month* with award-winning, culturally responsive
poetry that serves your students’ demographics and interests. Inspire a
deeper joy for reading and explore different poetry forms from free verse
to tanka while making historical, scientific, and global connections across
grade levels.

   1. *The Crane Girl
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2ODk/index.html>*:
   Lyrical storytelling deftly interwoven with original haiku create a magical
   adaptation of a popular Japanese folktale.
   2. *Poems in the Attic*
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTA/index.html>:
   Told in alternating free verse and tanka, a young girl grows closer to her
   mother after discovering a box of poems her mother wrote about her
   experiences living around the world and growing up as a child of an Air
   Force serviceman.
   3. *Dreaming Up
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTE/index.html>*:
   A collection of illustrations, concrete poetry, and photographs that shows
   how young children’s constructions, created as they play, are reflected in
   notable works of architecture from around the world.
   4. *Love to Langston
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTI/index.html>*:
   Biography in verse of the beloved poet Langston Hughes.
   5. *Amazing Faces
   <http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTM/index.html>*:
   An anthology of universal poems focusing on the human experience as
   expressed by poets of diverse heritage and reflected in illustrations
   featuring people of all ages and backgrounds.

For more resources for *National Poetry Month*, see below:

Webinar: Using Multicultural Children’s Poetry to Inspire Poetry
Appreciation
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTQ/index.html>

4 Mentor Texts and Activities for National Poetry Month
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTU/index.html>

Interview: Nikki Grimes on Writing Poetry
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTY/index.html>

Poetry Friday: What is a Haiku?
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTc/index.html>

Interview: Writing Haiku With Curtis Manley, Author of The Crane Girl
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTg/index.html>
READ MORE
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU2OTk/index.html>

[image: LLB]
[image: LLB]
*Webinar: #Own Voices - SLJ in Conversation About Publishing Diverse Books*

[image: slj own voices webinar]

Join Shelley Diaz, School Library Journal‘s reviews manager, for an
in-depth conversation with editors and publishing insiders, Francisca
Goldsmith of Library Ronin, Christopher Johns of Tuttle Publishing, Cheryl
Klein of Lee & Low and Carrie Gleason of James Lorimer & Company.

They’ll dig deeper into publishing diverse children’s and young adult
literature with a focus on #OwnVoices titles—books about marginalized
cultures and characters written by authors from that same identity. Each
panelist will also offer a special preview of several upcoming titles.

Register here
<http://LALB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NDY4NzUyJnA9MSZ1PTEwNzA1NDE5MDEmbGk9NDI2ODU3MDE/index.html>
.

Title: #Own Voices: SLJ in Conversation About Publishing Diverse Books