[Library Media] You weren't able to attend the 2017 UELMA Conference?

Sarah Herron Sarah.Herron at slcschools.org
Fri Mar 10 08:50:25 MST 2017

Hello!

The UELMA 2017 Conference, Agents of Change, is now over. For those of you who were not able to attend, please know that you were missed and we hope that you will join us at the 2018 UELMA Conference at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center next year on March 9, 2018.

Here is an update of what UELMA has done this year:

We moved from a conference-planning board to a Conference-planning Committee, allowing the Board to focus on Membership Support/Expansion, Professional Development opportunities and Advocacy strategies.

  *   Membership Support/Expansion
     *   We enhanced our partnerships with other organizations in Utah (UCET, UEN, USL, ULA, PALS) and nationally (AASL).
     *   We reached out to more Utah school library workers (public, private, paraprofessionals) by attending the SUMS Conference in Cedar City and updating a decade-old list of the current staffing of school libraries.
  *   Professional Development
     *   We offered two scholarships for UELMA members to attend the 2017 AASL Conference. These scholarships were awarded at our recent Conference.
     *   We shared websites, grant opportunities and articles as resources though our UELMA website as well as the UELMA Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. This information is on our website.
     *   We have organized a Summer Library Boot Camp (1.0 SUU credit) entitled Modern Issues in Media Centers in Cedar City on July 20 & 21, 2017. For $51.00 ($30.00 for lunch both days + $21 SUU Credit processing fee), it is a fantastic deal. You can fill out the application here<https://goo.gl/forms/HPAbpowYFhkI5XOw1>.
  *   Advocacy
     *   We held 3 workshops on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) in order to learn how school libraries can benefit from its funding opportunities and develop advocacy strategies by building coalitions and speaking points.
     *   After a conference call with Keith Curry Lance (Library research/statistics consultant - School library impact studies), we are gathering data on librarianship in Utah in order to advocate for our program's importance for student success.

We will continue to have a fantastic Conference in March, an informative Newsletter and a strong presence on Social Media.

Please consider joining UELMA today. The full-year membership is $20.00, allowing you access to UELMA Grant Opportunities, Conference Presenter Handouts, past Newsletters, Board Meeting Minutes, and Librarian Resources. The Membership Application is attached to this e-mail.

I have been honored to serve as your 2016-2017 UELMA president. Thank you for the opportunity.  All of us on the UELMA Board hope that you will join us at the UELMA 2018 Conference on March 9, 2018!

Take care,

Sarah

Sarah G. Herron
Past President, Utah Educational Library Media Association
Library Technology Teacher, M. Ed.
East High School

840 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84102

Email: sarah.herron at slcschools.org<mailto:sarah.herron at slcschools.org>

Phone:    801-583-1661 x2202
Fax:         801-584-2927

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them."
Michael Moore

Currently Reading

[1486151182216_PastedImage]
Scanned By Microsoft EOP