[Library Media] The use of subject headings

Emily Davenport edavenport at alpinedistrict.org
Wed Mar 8 11:18:59 MST 2017

The modern teacher librarian had a short online class on cataloging.  Many
districts don't have a cataloger.  I import records and add any tags that I
think my middle schoolers might use to search.  I don't get to teach all of
them lessons on search terms, so whatever works to help your kids find your
books is my motto.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Harris, Laurel <
Laurel.Harris at canyonsdistrict.org> wrote:

> I would like to comment on the removal and use of subject headings.  I am
> a district cataloger and I think that as librarians we should follow the
> cataloging rules. This means using the defined terms from Sears List and
> Library of Congress authorities.  The reason being that what makes sense to
> one person does not necessarily make sense to another.  Committees at the
> Library of Congress spend numerous hours deliberating, debating and
> considering the subject headings we use.  I purchase the current Sears List
> to review and check the online authorities every time I consider using a
> subject heading I’m not certain of.  The subject headings do get dated and
> they are changed in this sources to reflect that.
>

> Although its considered a college level skill I also teach my high school
> students to use the subject headings as a guide in research.  When finding
> a book that is pertinent to their topic they can use the subject headings
> from that book to formulate a new search.  When subject headings become
> random and unique to the cataloger instead of universal as the LOC and
> Sears subjects are the catalog becomes unique to the location and not
> useful to the majority.
>

> When I look for cataloging for obscure titles or foreign language titles
> from other sources I count on them to have followed the cataloging rules as
> set up by LOC.  More and more that is what I find.  With RDA being
> implemented I know when I see a record using these formats that I can use
> the information to catalog an item in a language I don’t know.  When I am
> following cataloging rules, I like to think that someone else will be able
> to use my cataloging as well.
>

> Laurel Harris,
>
> Librarian - Jordan High School
>
> Cataloger – Canyons District