[Library Media] Race-based subject headings

Whiting, Joshua jwhiting at graniteschools.org
Wed Mar 8 09:52:31 MST 2017

My two cents, I agree with Heather. I think those kinds of subject headings could be useful for patrons finding books related to their own culture and experience, and also for finding books on another culture they are interested in learning about or have been assigned to study. If I remember correctly we had a question come up on this very listserv in which a librarian was looking for picture books with regular non-historical stories that just happened to feature African-American characters. I thought it was an extremely valid request in that it supported the whole “mirrors and windows” concept of readers seeing themselves in books and also seeing people different than themselves. Books about historical figures and the civil rights movement are important, but sometimes kids might benefit from seeing other kids who look like them just playing in the snow or talking to magical animals, too. So the subject headings could be useful for the librarian in trying to find these kinds of books for students, and in doing collection development. If you search for something and nothing or almost nothing comes up, it could indicate you have some collection development to do in that area to improve the diversity of your collection.

I see no problems with having these in your catalog, except the following cases:

1.       If it were the only subject heading for a title. In this case, I would say don’t remove it, but instead add some additional relevant subject headings for that book.

2.       If it is an old subject heading using outdated or possibly offensive language, you should probably modernize it or remove it.

3.       If there is a subject heading like “Women Artists” or “African American Inventors” I would want to make sure there was also one on the record that is just “Artists” or “Inventors” so that the book/person is not inadvertently filtered out from searches for all artists or inventors. I would still leave the more specific one so that patrons can search that way as well.

I think if someone in your community were using these headings as a way to find groups of books to sideline/challenge/weed, that’s not the fault of the subject headings and you probably have bigger issues to deal with in terms of educating your community about readers’ rights, open access to information, diversity, etc.

Josh Whiting
Library Media | Educational Technology Dept. | Granite School District