[Library Media] Race-based subject headings

Lynn Matthews lynn.matthews at washk12.org
Wed Mar 8 09:35:37 MST 2017

Hmmm...I actually feel opposite because I am a parent of a bi-racial
children and look to ensure that they read books that address their
African-American culture. I often use the subject headings to guide the
reading of my children - especially in lilly white Utah. I want to be able
to guide students to books that empower their specific race so they
identify and are liberated by the story and see themselves accomplishing
similarly to the characters. It is sad to me that many of our kiddos only
read about white characters. I do agree that many of the descriptions
include this information and it would be easy to remove the headings, but
it is preferable (for me at least) to be able to limit my search and then
decide the best reading option from there. I really strive to have my kids
read books with cultural references so I use those headings pretty
extensively.

​Lynn Matthews
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Desert Hills High School
Media Director

"When we all think alike, no one thinks very much." - Albert Einstein

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Cindy Mitchell <
cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org> wrote:

> I have been editing a lot of MARC records lately and whenever I see
> "African American" or "Korean American" and other such subject headings
> they make me cringe.  I am thinking of deleting them all together.
> Especially because the information is usually available in the summary of
> the book and who sees the subject headings any more except for us?  I'd
> appreciate some thoughts on this.
>
> FYI - I have already eliminated the "Girls", "Teenagers", and "Boys"
> subject headings!
>
> --
> Cindy Mitchell
> South Jordan Middle School
> 10245 S 2700 W
> South Jordan UT 84095
> 801-412-2900 <%28801%29%20412-2900>
> fax: 801-412-2930 <%28801%29%20412-2930>

​​
Lynn Matthews