[Library Media] Race-based subject headings

Heather Novotny hnovotny at mcgillisschool.org
Wed Mar 8 08:49:53 MST 2017

Interesting point about the subject headings!

I just showed students how to click on the subject headings in a work's bibliographic record to find further materials. I love this as a backdoor to understanding indexing in a library catalog, and it works with any catalog. The 5th graders were totally geeked up, and a bunch of them went to the City & County library catalogs to try it immediately.

The strength of subject indexing is that, unlike keyword searching, it can return more relevant results. We all learn keyword searching just by doing it, but subject indexing has got to be taught.

Regarding removing descriptors that reference ethnicity, not sure I agree with that. What is the purpose of it? If Korean kids can find books about kids like them, that's a good thing, right?
 Heather Novotny
Librarian
The McGillis School
668 South 1300 East Salt Lake City, UT 84102
hnovotny at mcgillisschool.org