[Library Media] Race-based subject headings

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org
Wed Mar 8 07:40:35 MST 2017

I have been editing a lot of MARC records lately and whenever I see
"African American" or "Korean American" and other such subject headings
they make me cringe.  I am thinking of deleting them all together.
Especially because the information is usually available in the summary of
the book and who sees the subject headings any more except for us?  I'd
appreciate some thoughts on this.

FYI - I have already eliminated the "Girls", "Teenagers", and "Boys"
subject headings!

--
Cindy Mitchell
South Jordan Middle School