[Library Media] UELMA Conference Schedule

georgeweight at integrity.com georgeweight at integrity.com
Mon Feb 13 11:43:10 MST 2017

Forgive me if I've become a bit nostalgic. Looking over the schedule, I
see some great opportunities for professional development. It's the
tradition of UELMA from the beginning!

I try not to listen to those of my generation that have lost hope in our
education system. Since I still substitute frequently, I encounter some
fantastic teachers. Among them are our library media personnel. In Utah,
we have excellent Library Media teachers and paraprofessionals. The
technology available today is beyond our wildest dreams in the last 3rd of
the 20th Century.

What of today's students? Don't know how to learn? Don't know how to work?
Addicted to social media? IMO, the more patterns have changed, the more
they remain the same. We have outstanding students and those who
struggle--just like the 1950's, when I was in school.

I've recently encountered several Sterling Scholar candidates and several
other intelligent  and talented students that are just as accomplished as
those of my former school and teaching days--and others who still need our
help and our patience.

Good luck on the conference--and if my encouragement will help to decide,
look over the schedule. It has much to offer, and could benefit. Maybe
even in your "retirement" years.

George Weight
"Retired?" teacher and distant past UELMA President

BTW: According to General Douglas MacArthur, old soldiers "fade away." But
teachers live on--in the memories of their students!