[Library Media] Fun Mini-Research Ideas

Lanell Rabner lanell.rabner at nebo.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:07:26 MST 2017

Hi Sherry!

Here are a few of the projects I've been involved with:

   1. The kids read Night and then researched people, places, or events
   from the Holocaust or WWII
      - I replicated an official Jewish ID card for each student and they
      researched the person, or the concentration camp they were sent
to, or the
      Nazi involvement in the country they came from.
      - The written portion of the project was an annotated bibliography
      with the resources used.
      - The final project was an artifact representing their research.
   2. The kids read an non-fiction graphic novel
      - I instructed the students in how to write a good review of a
      graphic novel.
      - Kids created a Book Trailer for their book.
      - Attached the Book Trailer to the graphic novel with a QR code
   3. The kids read a wordless picture book and then wrote their own story
   to go along with the pictures.
   4. Propaganda Posters
      - I instructed the kids on the use and creation of propaganda.
      - Students selected a current hot social issue to research.
      - The written portion of the project was an annotated bibliography of
      the resources used.
      - Final project was an Infographic propaganda poster representing the
      social issue they researched
      5. Illuminated War Poem
      - Students selected a poem written during the Civil War, WW I or WW
      II.
      - Researched the author and the events of the poem.
      - Created a short biographical sketch of the author.
      - Illuminated the poem with images, text, and music to convey the
      meaning o the poem, using
         - Adobe Spark
         - MovieMaker
         - Kioza
         - iMove
      6. Protest music as vehicle of social change
      - I gave a presentation on the use of protest music for social change
      during the 1960s
      - Students selected a piece of protest music from the 1960s or 1970s.
         - Researched the artist
         - Researched the social issue being protested
      - Written portion of the assignment was an annotated bibliography of
      resources used.
      - The final project was an artifact representing their research, such
      as
         - Music Video
         - Painting
         - Propaganda Poster
         - Movie
         - Re-purposed book
         - Photo journal
         - Lego wall (Pink Floyd's The Wall)
         - Infographic

Our students have had a lot of fun and success with these projects. Hope
this is some helpful food for thought.

Happy weekend!

~lanell rabner

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Sherry Paxton <
sherry.paxton at millardk12.org> wrote:

> Nancy,
> Doing the Hangout with your class was truly one of the best educational
> experiences of my teaching career!!  You are an amazing teacher and person
> and the kids were amazing.  !  Are you going to UELMA?  I would love to
> visit with you more about this experience.   Thank you for your suggestion
> and for letting us connect!
> Sherry
>
> "I'm not a teacher, but an awakener"  Robert Frost
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Sherry Paxton <
> sherry.paxton at millardk12.org> wrote:
>

>> I am looking for a fun new research project for my high school library
>> science classes.  Last year we did biographies and researched Marilyn Bell,
>> the great marathon swimmer.  After the research project we watched *Heart...The
>> Marilyn Bell Story* and then Face timed Marilyn Bell so the students
>> could interview this amazing 80+ year-old woman.    I would love to hear
>> some exciting new mini-research paper ideas for high school students.  Please
>> share!
>>
>> Sherry Paxton

Lanell Rabner, MLS
Librarian